What breeds are my chickens?!?!?!? Please help!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SarahFish, Jul 21, 2010.

1. SarahFish

SarahFish In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Cortez
    I have a small flock (8 hens) that I got from a local chain store. Unfortunately, all of the sales people that helped me apparantly knew absolutely nothing about chickens, and none of them turned out to be the breed that they told me they were. I have been able to correctly identify all but 2 of my hens. Can somebody please help me figure out what breed they are?! Jambalaya is mostly black with A LOT of gold covering the majority of her chest and she has light gold patterned across her flying feathers. She has a large, bright red single comb and she is a pretty heavy bird. Dumpling, on the other hand, is significantly smaller than most of my flock. She has a very small tan colored single comb (you can hardly even tell that she has one) and she her whole body is a buff color. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I attached a couple of pictures below.

Thank You,

Sarah

[​IMG] [​IMG]

PS.... These pictures are from about 2 months old. They are now 4 months. If you need more recent pictures, I can have some new ones on here tomorrow.

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Just guessing here...

Is the first pic a bantam or large fowl?

In the second pic, buff orpington, the one behind her - is she really black, or is she dark brown?, and...maybe a blue rock based on the yellow legs,...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  3. SarahFish

SarahFish In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Cortez
    It's large. As far as I can tell I don't have any bantams.

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Then I have no clue about that first one...sorry!

5. gordonburrito

gordonburrito Songster

Apr 4, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    The brown and black one looks like a black sex link hen and the orange/golden one I'd say was a buff orpington. Not sure about the black with yellow legs.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  6. SarahFish

SarahFish In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Cortez
    Yeah, I have one Black Sexlink and she looks totally different than the bird in the first picture. I think I'm going to add more recent pictures of them tomorrow. Maybe it'll be easier to tell. Thanks for the help so far!! [​IMG]

7. pkw

pkw Songster

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    The middle one actually looks like my New Hampshires. My new hampshires started out more buff than red but as they got older they started becoming more red colored.

8. SarahFish

SarahFish In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Cortez
    She does appear to look redder than she did before... Here's a couple of updated photos of the 2 hens in question. I took these yesterday so hopefully it'll be easier to figure out what they are!!

Here's Jambalaya:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and Here's Dumpling:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Jambalaya - Black Sex Link Hen
    Dumpling - Buff Orpington Hen

10. SarahFish

SarahFish In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Cortez
    That's what everyone keeps telling me. She looks completely different than my other one though. Maybe I have the breed wrong on my other girl?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by