1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

What breeds are my chickens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chick chicks, Feb 19, 2013.

1. chick chicks

chick chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Vancouver Island
    I know two of them are mixed araucanas :) But I'm not sure about the rest of them?

[​IMG]
    One of the Araucana crosses (I think) she has the fluffy cheeks and that is an araucana trait right? She is the sweetest girl you'll ever meet :)

[​IMG]
    The one in front is the other araucana mix, she has amost no tail and fluffy cheeks as well. The black one in the back is the one I am most wondering about, she has black feathers with brown downward v's on them (pardon my terminology, I'm new to chicken raising) she is VERY sketchy and will not let anyone (including my roo) near her, she lays medium brown eggs, and just today got broody on me and was cackling and puffing up and pecking. She is also very small in comparison to the others. The other white in the back I think is just your typical egg farm hen, she has a ring around her ankle (we bought her from someone else just recently) so i think she may have been tagged at some point?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The roo I think might be a RIR? I didn't get a pic of his entire body, sorry :( but his mid section is slightly darker than his neck and his tail is black but shines a pretty iridescent blue/green in the sun :)
    Sorry for any stupid question I may have asked but me and my friend just up and decided to hatch eggs one day and we now have our happy little family :) we don't have very much experience in determining breeds :p
    Thank You! :)

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    the first two are easter eggers (should lay blue or green eggs)

the roo is not a rir but might be another ee would need a whole body picture of him

need a better picture to see the black and brown hen better. [​IMG]

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

x2 Rooster looks like an Easter Egger with RIR mixed in, the first two hens are also Easter Eggers, very cute!

The sketchy hen looks like a Dark Cornish but I agree that we need a better photo of her.

Welcome to BYC!!!

4. chick chicks

Jun 10, 2012
    Vancouver Island
    Thank You :) I will try to get full body pics of them all soon, ee makes sense for those 2 because one of them lays bluey-grey eggs

5. Chicago chick

Chicago chick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Hobart, Indiana
    Be careful..the black one looks like a chicken vulture!..jk
    I would think EE..
    Considering they are a cross & can be any color variations..
    You'll know soon enough when she lays an egg:)

6. chick chicks

Jun 10, 2012
    Vancouver Island

But she has layed medium/darkish brown eggs? I quite literally witnessed her laying the egg :p is it possible for the ee's to lay more than just one color?

7. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    ee's can lay any color since they are basically mutts which is why hatcheries say they lay light pink to blue eggs

8. chick chicks

Jun 10, 2012
    Vancouver Island
    Ok thanks :)

9. chick chicks

Jun 10, 2012
    Vancouver Island
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Just an update with some better pictures, the black one is still really hard to get a picture of because she is so sketchy, any idea what she is?

10. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, definitely a Dark Cornish [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by