What breeds are my chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Heatherschicks1, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Heatherschicks1

Heatherschicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2014
    I have one roo I think he is a New Hampshire red
    [​IMG]
    And about 15 hens that I rescued that I'm unsure of all of there breeds I believe some are barred rocks, red stars, black stars, white leghorns, black Australorp, not 100%.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So after I hatched some of my eggs I now have no clue what breeds some could be aside from my barred rock which I think might be a roo my two white birds I would some said tetra tent but one is bigger and all white possibly another roo and the smaller one has the black tips on the fethers.. And my others I'm not sure the breeds
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Heatherschicks1

Nov 18, 2014
    I had 3 seep rate hatches all about a week apart

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your chicks aren't going to be any breed, a pure bred animal has to have both parents be the same breed. You've got mixed breed/barnyard mix chicks. Your barred chick will be a male sex link, other than that all bets are off.

4. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    2 people like this.
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X3

7. Heatherschicks1

Nov 18, 2014
    That makes since just wasn't sure if since some seem so dominiate to what the hens were if that changed... Like my two white chicks one looks like a tetra tint with a few black feathers but the other is pure white. Thank you for the answers!!

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Leghorns carry dominant white, so pretty much any mix with a Leghorn parent is going to be mostly white with some random bits of color, no matter what you breed it to.

Black is also a strong dominant color and will over-ride most other colors, so a bird with one black parent is often all or mostly black.

A barred hen bred to a non-white, non-barred rooster will give sex linked offspring. Males are barred, females are solid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by