What breeds are my new (grown) chickens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CodyChristine, Aug 16, 2010.

1. CodyChristine

CodyChristine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Belle Plaine, MN
    Our coop burned down last winter and we lost all our chickens [​IMG] however, we moved this summer and our new place had an already-built chicken coop and run! A friend of ours recently gave us 12 chickens to start our flock over. I think he had some overcrowding going on because many of the hens had bald spots on their backs but I can see their new feathers starting to come in now. Lots more space than where they came from!

Anyway, I know there are some RIRs, black sex-links and a Silver Laced Wyandotte.

I assuming the white roo is a Leghorn? How about the tan hen to the left of him?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And, I'm curious as to what the speckled roo could be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  2. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    I see maybe white rock...not sure on the other one.

3. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    The other roo is a male black sex link...verrry cool colours on him. The white is a white Rock - looks just like my boy.

The tan could be a hatchery New Hampshire? But it's hard to tell. They really do look bad, glad you can give them more room.

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    The white rooster is definitely a White Rock, however I think the other rooster is just a mutt. The tan hen is a Red Sex-link.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree.

6. CodyChristine

CodyChristine Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Belle Plaine, MN
    Thanks everybody!

I've noticed the speckled rooster has some black on his comb. I've checked the chickens for mites, lice, etc. and haven't found any. Any ideas what could be causing this?

7. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    tan baby is a red sex-link she looks like my big mama (whos smaller than the un-cool non layers [​IMG]) na there still cool

8. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree.

I agree too. And the black on the mutt cuckoo rooster could either be frost bite or, more likely at this time of the year, scabs from getting pecked on. Once the peck starts everyone seems to just join in on pecking that one bird, in the same spot... but don't worry with more space they should be occupying their time better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by