What Breeds are my sweet chicks...do I have hens or roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by heidilynne, Jun 1, 2012.

1. heidilynne

heidilynne Hatching

Jun 1, 2012
    My kindergarten class hatches eggs every spring. I had two little ones that were not doing well, so I brought them home and hand feed them, but was expecting the worst. I have never had chickens past a week after they hatch, when they go back to the farm. I am thrilled that they are doing beautifully.
    They are about 4 weeks old. My little Lucky Joy(Black & White Chick) hatched from a brown egg. Alphie(Brown Chick) hatched over night with 8 other chicks...so I have no idea what color egg she/he hatched out of. We had a combination of dark brown, light brown, and greenish eggs in the incubator. Any idea what breeds I have and can you tell what their genders are?
    Thank you for sharing your expertise!

[​IMG]
    Lucky Joy Photo 1
    [​IMG]
    Lucky Joy photo 2
    [​IMG]
    Alphie Photo 1

[​IMG]
    Alphie Photo 2

2. JayLyn07

JayLyn07 In the Brooder

Feb 14, 2012
    Litchfield, New York
    I would say #2 looks like a roo #1 maybe. 3 and 4 I would say girl. They look like Easter Eggers to me with the green legs. Cuties!

3. chickenmaniac

chickenmaniac Chirping

Mar 12, 2012
    Arizona
    Lucky joy is a roo and the breed im not sure maybe Silver laced wyandotte, and Alphie is a pullet Easter Egger

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  4. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Songster

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Lucky Joy is a Silver Laced Wyandotte cockerel and Alphie is a Easter Egger pullet.

5. heidilynne

heidilynne Hatching

Jun 1, 2012
    Thank you so very much! I was really hoping that they were both pullets.
    Four weeks ago, at school we were discarding the eggs that didn't hatch. Lucky Joy was in my teaching partner's incubator and had been trying to hatch for two1/2 days. She thought he was dead and had placed his egg in the bag for the trash. I heard this little cheeping sound from the bag. When I picked up his egg his little beak was poking out of a tiny hole. I pulled off a bit of the shell by where his beak had popped out...TA DA, this sweet little chick eye was looking at me and touched my soul. l just had to help him. My teaching partner named him Lucky Joy because he was lucky I heard him. I think I am the lucky one.

6. Hezz

Hezz Songster

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania

Agree!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: