What Breeds Are Sex-Linked?

duckboatprincess

Songster
10 Years
Apr 21, 2009
Grand Blanc, MI
There is a post further down wanting to know what a sex-linked is. So my question is which breeds are considered sex-linked? I've got EE eggs in the bator and just wondered if you could tell their sexes at hatching?

You can make sexlinks from just about any rooster with a barred hen. I've had them with Silver Phoenix x BR, Cochin/Silkie x BR, EE x BR, etc. Males are barred and females are usually mostly solid colored. They may not be obvious right at hatch, but when they feather out, you'll know.

Seems to me the Legbars are sex-linked and true-breeding to boot. As a bonus, they lay blue or green eggs.

Yep, the Legbar, Rhodebar, Welbar, and Wybar are listed in the British Standard (though not the American) and the Cream Legbar lays a blue-green egg. The Feather Site page on them is here. That page calls them "autosexing", though, not "sex-linked". The difference may be merely semantics or it may go deeper than that. For what it's worth, I got there from the "sex-linked" page at http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

RSD

Quote:
If the Barred Rock is the rooster, no. A BR rooster gives a copy of the barring gene to all of his offspring, rather than a female BR who only give it to her sons, which is why any non-barred rooster crossed with a barred hen will produce sex-links.

We use our RIW(Rhode Island White) and RIR for a red sex link.Males hatch white and the females hatch out a redish buff
We also have black sex links RIR and BR next year we will be using some of our NH's and Delaware's for some sex links.

I have delawares. They're a barred and columbian breed.

I have also a splash roo and a birchen roo - sizzles.

When the splash or birchen roo get to a delaware hen - I get barred boys and solid girls.

When the delaware roo gets to a partridge rock hen the colors are also significantly different, because the silver in delawares and the gold in partridge rock differentiate between the sexes.

Some colors also show up sexual differences quickly - true breeding wheatens, and in marans - golden cuckoo chicks are usually sexually dimorphic enough to tell.

Genetics is fun. If a tad complicated.

There are all sorts of ways to create sex links.

Using either barred genes or silver/gold

Back
Top Bottom