1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breeds are these 2 hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by happyhens, Mar 29, 2008.

1. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    I had these hens a couple of years ago, and they were broody machines! One was killed by a fox, along with her 5- 1 month old chicks [​IMG] The other disappeared one night, don't know for sure what happened to her. They were very wild and would not stay in the coop. They lived outside and roosted in the big barn, and lived for much longer than I expected them to (because of predators) But I just didn't have the heart to keep them penned up all the time. They even raised 3 or 4 batches of chicks out there. I was never sure what breeds they were, some type of game hens?
    Hen #1 (sorry you can't see her better, I don't have a better picture of her. She was the same shape and size of the hen below, just a different color)
    [​IMG]

Hen #2 Cleopatra (please ignore the dirty barrel, that was a very temporary setup!)
    [​IMG]
    *edited to resize a pic*

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Cant really tell in the first pic but I believe she is a sex link/red star/ golden comet or RIR?

3. happyhens

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Quote:No, she was smaller than those breeds. And they don't go broody often, right? This hen started laying really early, laid about 4 eggs (I'm not kidding!) and went right to work being broody.
    *edited to add- she had a black tail, if that helps any. The rest of her was red, and she had black streaks on her back and near her tail, and as you can see she also had black streaks on her neck.

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I know sex links dont. Not sure about RIR's. She is a bantam right?

5. happyhens

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Quote:Yes. She was a bit smaller than hen #2, but they were both bantams I think.

6. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Rirs have black tails.

7. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    They look like fighting game hens to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by