What breeds are these 3 chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by simi33, Feb 7, 2014.

1. simi33

simi33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2013
    Tampa, Florida
    Hello. I ordered some chicks from Idealpoultry.com and they sent me extra ones to help with the warmth of my other chicks but didn't specify what breeds they included in my shipping and when I contacted them they were sure from the pictures either. Here are the pics and hopefully someone can identify them? Thank you :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Chick one: Easter Egger looks like one Chick 2: Rhode Island Red or Production Red maybe sexlink Chick 3: Easter Egger

3. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    I'm actually not very inclined to say Easter Egger, because the legs aren't dark. All of my easter eggers still have dark legs, even when they first hatch. Those legs look pure yellow. They could still be, since EE's are a mixed breed and COULD inherit the lighter (recessive) leg color. But it's not very common at all. Plus none of those chicks have muffs either. They're clean-faced. So it may be a second or third-generation of EE outcrossed to a "clean" breed.

But I'm pretty certain you're looking at a mixed-breed, regardless. You'll just be lucky if they carry the blue egg gene.

4. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Well, I'm new here also and new too chickens but given that your first and third pics looks like the EE's I just got from Ideal, this would be my guess on them. I'm not going to try on the second since I am new and just hatched[​IMG] I don't want to go back into the brooder or something if I get it wrong, lol. Enjoy BYC! This is a great place to get any information you need. (thank you to all of the moderators here at BYC:)

5. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Definitely not EE.
    The top one might be a Welsummer or Brown Leghorn
    Middle one is a Rhode Island Red
    Bottom one could be a Partridge Rock or Barnevelder

6. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

I stand corrected I'm going to go with Partridge Rock and Welsummer.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

8. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Agree....with the addition of top add possibly Speckled Sussex to the list and to the middle add New Hampshire to the list given

Here's a link to a good chick chart I use when I get mystery chicks. I have found it overall helpful in the breeds it shows...generally true to form and color:
    http://esteshatchery.com/gallery.html

For those I can't find there, I go to Feathersite.com as they show good day old chick photos too
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Barnev/BRKBarnev.html

If they were packing peanuts, they could also be mixes.

Lady of McCamley

9. simi33

simi33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2013
    Tampa, Florida
    I was able to sell those extra little guys and I was told by the person that bought them which has a farm and lots of chickens that the top chick is Brown leghorn, the middle one is New Hampshire red and the bottom one is a Brown leghorn mix breed. Thank you for everyone's help :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by