What Breeds Are These Chickens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cmitchell, Dec 10, 2010.

1. cmitchell

cmitchell Chillin' With My Peeps

We just got 14 chickens (hens and roosters) from a person who had too many in her pen. We don't know what breed or breed crosses they might be. Can any of my Backyard Chicken friends help us out in identifying them?

This one is small..maybe some kind of bantam?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    First, that person didn't take the greatest care of those chickens. . . .

The first one has been in a bad fight, and looks like an Old English Game Bantam; That or some sort of Game bird.

The second shows two Barred Rocks and a mutt. (his color is a blue breasted red)

The third photo shows the most interesting color I've never thought possible (duckwing AND lacing together, with truly good lacing)

Fourth photo is again the blue breasted red colored mutt.

Fifth is a Silver Laced Wyandotte, again bad treatment as he's had his tail feathers pulled out and comb beat up.

Sixth looks like a Barred Rock hen.

Seventh is an Easter Egger hen. Should lay green eggs, and has Delaware behind it.

Eighth looks like a game cross.

Ninth is a Black Sex Link hen.

Tenth is again that neat colored mutt. He's got Silver Laced Wyandotte and something else behind him, most likely the same breed that your "blue breasted red" cockerel has, because he has the same duckwing patterning. So neat.

3. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Looks like some barred rocks and some mixed. I see about 6 roosters. The one in the last pic is really pretty. [​IMG]

4. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Such a mixture: I see Old English Game, Barred Rocks, Golden Laced Wyandottes, Easter Eggers, Silver LAced Wyandottes, and most likely a bunch of mixed breeds, I will say tough there are some pretty chickens there.

5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    X2 for Illia's post.

Those poor birds look like they've lived a rough life. I love the color of the BlBR.

6. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    Quote:X3

7. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    I agree with Illia completely. I saw that first one and thought he was in just awful shape. I thought he was horribly sick for a second.
    The barred rock hens kind of look like BSL males to me. Just because the color isn't quite right.

8. cmitchell

cmitchell Chillin' With My Peeps

We rescued these birds from a person's pen that held about 60 chickens..it was way too small for that many. They are pretty beat up from fighting, damaged combs and missing feathers. I love the roo in the 10th picture..he's so pretty..so he's a mutt, huh? I was thinking of putting him in with my 15 light bramah girls..what do you think about that?

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Well yes, the barred one on the left in the third photo is actually a mutt. What you're seeing is barred birchen (possibly even blue), also the bird has a pea comb. [​IMG]

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:You'll lose his neat lacing, instead you'll get "spangling" (black tipped white feathers) but otherwise they'll still be pretty mutts. [​IMG] (the offspring, I mean)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by