1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breeds are these chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by roseschickies, Jan 9, 2013.

1. roseschickies

roseschickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2012
    Horsham, Pa
    Hello sorry I am posting these guys to their own thread.. not sure what they are, I will mark them to what I was told:

All chick born @ 10/26/12
    [​IMG]
    Pullet - Was told Americana
    [​IMG]
    Roo - was told Black Star or Jersey Giant
    [​IMG]
    Pullet - Cochin ( but what kind exactly, can anyone tell? her coloring is sooo pretty!)
    [​IMG]
    Pullet - Cochin ( again what kind exactly, i have been seeing different types breeds of cochin)

Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  2. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    #1 is an easter egger,

#2 isnt' a black sex-link roo (they're barred). His comb looks funny! Looks almost like a rose - could you get a close-up shot of it?

#3.... not sure. Looks like she has some mottling going on; definitely an interesting color. Are there feathers on her legs?

#4 is a black cochin.

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    where did you get them? they all look like mixes except for the last one....umm they all are cockerels it looks like except for the first one it does look like a pullet

5. roseschickies

Oct 25, 2012
    Horsham, Pa
    Gaaak! I hope # 4 is not a male...

This is the only side profile I have of her at the moment, she was very curious
    [​IMG]

#2 - I zoomed in as far as I could with the existing picture, let me know if that helps, Or i will have to take new pics tonight.
    [​IMG]

#3 Yes there are feathers on her legs

6. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    cochin pulllets do not turn red till they are ready to lay both of the cochins have red combs and wattles making them cockerels

cochin pullet around 6 months of age
    [​IMG]

7. roseschickies

Oct 25, 2012
    Horsham, Pa
    Ok.. my next question then, because I have been comparing #4 to my one Pullet Cochin, Styx, she is reaching 6 months and there development seems similar? Chickens are driving me crazy! Next time I get any chickens I am ordering myself all pullets from a hatchery! lol I got them from a lady I found online.. sigh
    [​IMG]

8. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    thats a cockerel not a pullet you can tell by the long slender pointed hackle and saddle feathers on him. also even hatchries sometimes send you cockerels when you ordered sexed babies

9. roseschickies

Oct 25, 2012
    Horsham, Pa
    Well buggar me.... When will he start to crow?! I haven't heard a peep out of him... So confused.. and the others, I am sure that are hen, pick on styx. doesn't seem high in the pecking order, as far as I have noticed... sigh [​IMG]

10. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    They all look like cockerels except for the first one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by