What breeds are these from TSC?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicksandkids, Mar 12, 2012.

1. chicksandkids

chicksandkids Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    The only chickens I ever had was when I was 8, and we got a few from my mom's friend. They were adult chickens, so figuring out what breeds these babies we got a week ago from TSC is beyond me. Can someone help?

We have 3 of these. They started out a brownish yellow, and today, this girl has these rich brownish red feathers coming out. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

Then we have 3 of these girls. They were all yellow last week. This week, there wings feathers are coming in white and they aren't as yellow as they used to be.

[​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated! I'm looking to add 3 more babies this week and I would like to have some more variety! Thanks everyone!

2. jarvis

jarvis Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    potosi
    the white ones are probably leghorns or white rocks both very good layers =) and the orange ones could be sex links rhode island reds ( would be a lot darker as a baby though so maybe not .. /) or possibly a new hampshire .. you can look up picks in the breed section on here .. and look and compare them to see what you think .. hope i helped out some ... =)

3. chicksandkids

Mar 12, 2012
    I am inclined to agree about the orange ones being sex links. They have definitely changed a lot in 8 days! The other three aren't as yellow now that white feathers are coming in, but they are getting BIG. They are twice the size of the orange ones, but all six are so sweet. They don't mind being held and they'll talk up a storm while I'm near. I will check the breed section and see if I can figure those white ones out!

4. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    If the white ones are twice the size of the others there is a good chance they are Cornish X which are breed for meat and not egg laying.

If you want layers I would make sure to get some more and get them from the pullet or layer bins.

5. chicksandkids

Mar 12, 2012
    These were all from the pullet bin, but from what I understand of my TSC, they put Cornish X in with the pullets. So they could be meat chickens. But after some looking at the breed section, I'm strongly leaning towards leghorns. I hope they aren't meat chickens....I would be so sad. I could never eat them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by