What Breeds are these hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FuzzyButtsFarm, Aug 5, 2010.

1. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Hi All. I posted pic's of these 2 hens when they were 8 wks old and got conflicting answers. Well here they are again at 22 wks. They both lay light brown eggs and started at 18 wks. They both looked like yellow chipmonks as chicks. Thanks

Goldy
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Violet
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Violet looks like a Welsummer (red ear lobes) and Goldy looks like a Leghorn (white ear lobes)... The coloring is very similar, the breast feathers are what I look at.

3. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Viotet is deffanitely a Welsummer but I don't know about Goldy [​IMG]

4. FuzzyButtsFarm

Thanks for the input. I was told previously that they were partrage rocks. They both looked like chipmonks when they were chicks. The blue patch on Violets foot really had me stumped. At first I thought it was a bruise. She has always had it.

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    None of them look like Leghorns to me. The body shape is all wrong and too big to be a Leghorn.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Goldy looks remarkably like my Greta, who is a Black Sex Link. I was surprised how "brown" she grew up.

There's no doubt in my mind that Violet is a Welsummer, or Wellie mix, with very little else IN that mix.

7. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Goldy looks to me like a black sex link with a little more red than usual in her. Violet looks like my dads Welsummers.

8. FuzzyButtsFarm

Quote:I have 2 black sex links aka black stars. She was not all black as a chick. She looked like a yellow chipmonk with very distinct markings.

9. sprawli

sprawli Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    I say BSL and Welsummer. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by