1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breeds are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by beritbeth, Sep 25, 2016.

1. beritbeth

beritbeth Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2015
    Barnesville, MN
    Hi! I recently adopted 10 new one year old hens, in addition to the 5 I already own. I have been getting light green and light pink eggs since I got these new chickens, and I know none are from the hens I had before (black maran mixes) because they only lay dark brown eggs. I believe that our of the new ten I have; 2 buff orpingtons, 2 red stars (I've never heard of this breed but the woman who gave them to me said they were), 2 barred rocks, and 1 speckled Sussex. The last three I'm unsure about. Can someone identify which breeds the last three are? And, if possible, identify which hen is laying the green and pink eggs? Thank you!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Above are two I can't identify (possibly Easter eggers?) and a "red star". Below are the "red stars" with my lavender orp cockerel, the third unidentified hen, and the green and pinkish eggs. I know they all look a little rough right now but I'm hoping they start to get healthier soon! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They are Easter eggers. And I have heard of red stars, so that's probably what they are, there are lots of different names for sex links depending on who is making them.

3. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

All three of the unidentified ones are Easter Eggers, and any of the three have the potential to produce blue or green eggs. "Red Star" is a common brand name for a Red Sex Link.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    x2

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x 3 Queen Misha

6. beritbeth

beritbeth Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2015
    Barnesville, MN
    Thank you all! One more question, the woman who I got them from claimed the missing feathers on their backs were from a over active rooster. Could this be the truth or is it really from molting? None of the chickens I had originally have molted yet and the missing feathers are only on the new hens, all but 2 have no feathers on their lower backs. I've only had chickens a few years and my first two didn't molt (as I only had them from late September until May) and my current five are just 7 months old so I haven't experienced molting yet. :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  7. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Definitely from rooster wearing, molting will start at the head and neck and work it's way back.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree you have Easter eggers and red sex links. Those red sex links are wonderful layers.

I also agree that feather loss is from rooster damage. A molting hen won't be laying as a rule, and that pattern is more rooster than molt. Molting involves the neck and overall feathering. A solitary bare patch on the lower back and wings is rooster.

One of my molting girls, during and after....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by