What breeds are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RJSchaefer, Jul 25, 2013.

1. RJSchaefer

RJSchaefer Chirping

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockford, IL
    I picked these up yesterday. The lady said her kids show them in the Fair, and these were the ones who didn't make the cut. Theoretically they still lay - I've noticed one of the hens "guarding" the little nest box I put in for them. Her son told me in passing what breed each chicken was, but he was also talking about a more complicated details (like he was showing them, it was pretty awesome) that I totally didn't understand, so I missed it all completely!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Crowing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    [​IMG] with 5 toes and a little crest I think he's a mix, but I know that he has leg mites. Put Vaseline or liquid dish soap once a day for a few weeks all over his legs to kill them

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO.

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    they look like mixes.

4. RJSchaefer

RJSchaefer Chirping

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockford, IL
    Really?! [​IMG]How can you tell?

5. K Spot

K Spot Songster

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    His legs looks dry and flaky and swollen - signs of scaly leg mites.

6. RJSchaefer

RJSchaefer Chirping

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockford, IL
    Thank you. I'll pick up some DE tonight to dust the others with, and treat all the ones from this batch with a cleaning and vaseline.

Now, for my OTHER birds, what do I need to do to prevent it? They're free-ranged during the day. Can I dust the coop down with DE or...?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  7. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Crowing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I use sevin dust to kill mtes/lice. You need to keep the new ones away from your old birds for atlest a month to make sure they are not sick or you could lose both sets of birds. Feed and handle the new birds last

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: