What breeds Are They?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lovemychicks, Nov 28, 2008.

1. lovemychicks

lovemychicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2008
    CT
    I ordered a rainbow layer pack from McMurray this May, and now I have 15 left due to the hawk attack when they were young. It is my first year raising chickens, so please help me identify what breeds they are. Thanks!

They are almost 28 weeks old now, but none of them gives me any eggs. From the pictures, do you think they look like they are ready to lay yet?

Layer1
    [​IMG]

Layer2
    [​IMG]

Layer3
    [​IMG]

Layer4
    [​IMG]

Layer5
    [​IMG]

Layer6
    [​IMG]

Layer7
    [​IMG]

I believe this one is a rooster.
    [​IMG]

2. lovemychicks

Nov 2, 2008
    CT
    Is the right one an EE?

[​IMG]

3. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Layer 1 : Definitely a Black Australorp. I have one myself, and they lay medium sized brown eggs.

Layer 2: ???

Layer 3: A blue Andalusian. I have one of those too, and they can lay white eggs or green-blue Americauna looking eggs, depending on the chicken. They originated in Andalusia, Spain.

Layer 4: New hampshire red, I think. ( could be a rhode island red, but I am pretty sure new hampshire. They lay tons of dark brown eggs.

Layer 5: ???

Layer 6: A Buff Orpington(also known as a BO) . They lay light brown medium sized eggs.

Layer 7:???

Layer 8: BO rooster, I think. Definitely a BO, but might be a hen with a well developed comb.

I hope I helped you some! you can look up these breeds online to find out more about them.

4. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    # 4 looks like a New Hamshire Red; # 6 and the roo look like Buff Orpingtons. Not sure about the others. If the first one is solid black with black feet, it may be a Black Australorp. Have you tried getting the MM catalog and looking them up by pictures. Several of the ones with muffs look like EE's. I really have no idea about the white one with the black dots, but they are all really pretty. Too bad they aren't laying. Argggg. That drives me crazy when my hens won't lay but are way old enough to.

5. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    The one on the right is an Americauna. They lay green or blue eggs. They are also sometimes known as "easter eggers". They are sweet and friendly,though some are rowdier than others.

6. lovemychicks

Nov 2, 2008
    CT
    Quote:Thank you! You did help me to confirm the ones I think they are. [​IMG]

7. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:4 is a rhode island, new hampshires are lighter, 5 is a Splash andalusion, i believe the black one is too as the blues throw 50% blue, 25% splash, and 25% black.. which they all look alike, 7 maybe a white rock? but im not sure. 2 is an EE im thinking.. but i've never seen a full white one.. so maybe a Araucana?

Edit, Ok the first one is a australorp i believe lol

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  8. lovemychicks

Nov 2, 2008
    CT
    Quote:Thanks for the identification.

I was so anxiously waiting for the first egg to show up a few weeks ago. Now I just gave up. They will lay when timing is right. Although I think they are old enough to lay, I can't do anything about it but wait patiently. [​IMG]

9. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    1. Black Australorp
    2. Easter Egger
    3. Blue Andalusian
    4. Production RIR (Rhode Island Red)
    5. Splash Andalusian
    6. Buff Orpington
    7. Rhode Island White or possibly White Wyandotte
    8. Buff Orpington Cockerel

I think the closest ones to laying are the Australorp, Production RIR, your Buff-colored EE and the Andalusians. Should be laying any time now! lol

10. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:yeah.. im thinking Wyandotte too now instead of white rock, rose comb and has the wyandotte look

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by