what breeds can be sexed as chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mother o' chicks72, Jan 11, 2012.

1. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    Hey all! We're thinking of getting some more chicks but due to our poor luck last year as far as hen to rooster ratio we'd like to get breeds that can be easily sexed as chicks. I mean sexed by general pattern and coloration, I know there are sex-links, but are there any other breeds that can be sexed like that?

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Mostly the Sex links, but they are just that way for the first generation. Rare in the US is the Cream Legbar, so they are extremely expensive right now. Other than those, there are not many breeds to sex by color. I have Silver Duckwing OEGB that I can tell apart at hatch, but some still trick me here and there. I found the Silver Grey Dorking pretty easy as well. So maybe a breed that is Grey/Silver type. Stay away from Black,White,Light,Blue,ect.. Solid colors can be extremely hard to sex early.

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    br can be but its not 100% accurate by their head spot and the shading on the legs

4. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Yeah, I forgot about Barred Plymouth Rock and Dominique (it might work for other barred breeds as well)

Here is a link to sexing Dominique http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Sexing_Dominique_chicks.html

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by