what breeds can go together

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rct7907, Jan 12, 2013.

1. rct7907

rct7907 New Egg

Jan 4, 2013
    Marydel,md
    hi I am new to this so need some help,we have yo many roosters n not hens go looking to buy some more egg laying hens..I have a silky rooster,astro rooster,n 2 Leghorn n a mini rooster.I have 2 astro hens,speckled Sussex,n a I assume she is a mix of road island red.. what can I put with my males that will lay eggs to hatch as well.. any help thanks

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Considering you don't have very many girls I would try and whittle it down to one roo. Pick the nices/the one you like the most. When you get more girls you can look at adding another rooster. Too many roosters and your girls are goi g to be in rough shape soon, not to mention the potential for the boys fighting. :/

3. rct7907

rct7907 New Egg

Jan 4, 2013
    Marydel,md
    The thing is we are trying to get more females and are trying to get rid of one rooster the two leghorns were given to me when young and was told they were females well they kept growing and now they r males the silky dont touch the females never has he is old and the little rooster don't either just the three 1astro and 2 leghorns.. The one leg horn has pulled feathers off the one female trying to get on her.. That's why I'm ordering 15 females to have more eggs and try to make males happier

4. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Then you should probably separate some of the boys into a batcholer pen if possible. If you can get POL pullets then you should be ok after quarantine is over (2 week minimum) but if you have a month or more or get chicks your adults will run into problems. Even if the Roos don't fight the hens will be over mated.

For clarity sake, you have 4 roosters and are trying to reduce to 3 and 4 hens right now, correct? A normal ratio is 1 roo to 6-10 hens, so if you get down to 3 roosters and add 15 hens you should be good.

5. rct7907

rct7907 New Egg

Jan 4, 2013
    Marydel,md
    Thanks we are going to remove 2 males cause they r the only two that are mating with the hens the other two don't touch the hens... So it will only be one male in the pen with the females until we get more females going to order 15-20 hens..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by