What breeds can you sex as chicks?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Fruit Juice, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Fruit Juice

Fruit Juice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Boulder, CO
    What breeds, besides sex-links, can you sex as chicks by their down color or leg color?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Barred Rocks, Dominiques, Cuckoo Marans are three of them. They are usually easy to sex with some degree of accuracy by the headspot, overall color of the down and to a lesser degree, leg color. Take all three things together and you'll be about 90% accurate. I know there are more breeds like that, like Salmon Faverolles, but they take a couple weeks for them to feather out.

http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Sexing_Dominique_chicks.html This applies to all the barred breeds mentioned above.

3. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Correct me if wrong, California Greys, and Red Sex links, Black Sex links.

vortec

4. speckledhen

I think the OP wanted breeds besides the obvious sexlinks, though.

5. kalimist99

kalimist99 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    im guessing you can sex rhode island reds somehow cuz i bought 8 day old chicks from dels and they said there all suppousvly pullets? they came from privett hachery, how accurate are they at sexing rirs? im kinda hopin for 1 rooster.

6. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Well, if ya know what to look for, you can sex all of 'em. Someone taught me how to vent 'em a long time ago (looks kinda mean, but we really aint as rough with 'em as it looks) and thats pretty dang accurate.

7. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

The autosexing breeds.....such as:
    Legbar, Rhodebar, Cambar, Welbar, Wybar, Brussbar, Brockbar, Dorbar.

Found more online:
    Bielefelder, Ancobar, Hambar, Niederheiner, Cobar, Buffbar, Whealbar, Norske Jaerhorn, Oklabar, Barnebar, Amrock.

8. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I'm guessing all these -bar birds are crosses involving Barred Plymouth Rocks.

9. speckledhen

Yes, I think so, which makes them sexlinks. I dont know of anyone in this country who has a flock of any of those. Using a BR or Cuckoo Marans hen, you can make all sorts of sexlinks, though. I've had several.

10. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm guessing all these -bar birds are crosses involving Barred Plymouth Rocks.

They're breeds developed by Prof.Punnett & others at Cambridge University using the sex linked barring gene from barred rocks on non black birds. They were developed, I believe with the commercial market in mind before the days of the modern commercial hybrids.
    They are accepted breeds & they breed true. [​IMG]

Unfortunately some of these breeds are now very rare or have died out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by