What breeds did I get? pic heavy!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rachiegirl, Jul 31, 2010.

1. rachiegirl

rachiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Beaver Co. PA
    Yay!! I got my shipment of chicks on Wednesday, from Meyer hatchery. They are all doing wonderful. I ordered the all pullet rainbow pack that was on sale. Of course they don't tell you what they sent just that you'll get at least 5 different breeds.
    All but 6 have single combs. I know the feathers will change color a bit as they grow, but I'll describe what is coming in now.
    I don't know how to tell the difference between a rose/pea comb when they are new. I'm also not too good at saying whether the legs at this age are yellow or pink. I'll start with the odd 6.

These 2 I think are the same breed, they have the rose/pea comb. The only difference I see is the center brown stripe is a bit darker on one. Front and back pics of the same 2.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These 2 also have the same flat looking comb. One is definitely darker. Again, same breed?
    [​IMG]

Same story for these 2, flat looking comb (rose or pea?) That is about as close as the camera will let me get without going fuzzy. Same basic coloring so I assume same breed?
    [​IMG]

These are the other 4 black/white ones. I don't think they are all the same breed. Single combs. You can def. see one looks more white than yellow. These 2 pics are of the same 4.
    [​IMG]
    In this pic the one in the front looks like it might be barred? One on the left has black wings. One on the right has black feathers and white feathers on wings. Same with the one in the back with the white fuzz.
    [​IMG]

These 2 I'm thinking are not the same breed because of the color difference. single combs. They are the 2 out of all the buff colored chicks that have a pattern on the feathers.
    [​IMG]

I have 4 other that are similarly chipmunk colored, all with single combs. This is the one that has a little different pattern around the face. I don't think all the chippies are the same breed either.
    [​IMG]

This one is the oddball chipmunk, single comb. It is darker with more of a gray chest.
    [​IMG]

These are my yellow chicks, single combs.

[​IMG]

The other solid buffs and the other chipmunks were not cooperating with the camera today. Naughty birds. Thanks for your help! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  2. rachiegirl

Apr 6, 2009
    Beaver Co. PA
    I'm thinking the 2 gray may be Columbian Wyandottes? I'm going by leg color.

3. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Wow a lot of chicks you've got there. Here's what I'll guess:

1: EE (maybe)
    2: Wyandotte - variety??
    3. Dominique
    4. The ones on the left are BR - Rt. Australorps?

The next pic & the yellow ones, don't know.

The chipmunk - Speckled Sussex?

Then odd chipmunk could be a Partridge Rock?

You've got a great mix!

Wow, I have been so helpful [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2010
  4. rachiegirl

Apr 6, 2009
    Beaver Co. PA
    So EE's don't all have green legs? I'm thinking the yellow are either/or leghorns or white rocks. I would love a speckled sussex!

5. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    That looks REALLY similar to the 10 assorted I got from Ideal a week or so ago! Cute chicks! I'll be watchin this thread [​IMG]

6. rachiegirl

Apr 6, 2009
    Beaver Co. PA
    I was thinking maybe the darker patterned buff was a New Hampshire? The other one seems too light for that.
    How can you tell whether they are BR, BA or marans?

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Guessing, but I'll say:
    1. Speckled Susses
    2 Wyandottes, not sure on variety
    3. Dominiques
    4. 2 BR left, 2 Australorps or Marans on the right
    5. Same as above
    6. Maybe white leghorn on the left, red sex link on the right?
    7 & 8. Not sure but could be single comb EE's.
    9. White leghorns

8. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Quote:hum. You're right. Those guys do not have green legs... Not EEs. Since they have a rose comb, maybe another Wyandotte variety??

9. NewHen

NewHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Out of the two buff ones, the one on the right looks like a buff orpington.

10. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    The black and white ones left looks like my barred rocks at that age and the ones on the right look like my black australorp. Ive got 10 coming from Ideal this next week! hope mine all look this good, Cant wait! Hubby said no more after these.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by