What breeds do hatcheries use to create their Red Sex Links?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by melodyrg, Aug 27, 2013.

1. melodyrg

melodyrg Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm doing a project and need to know what hatcheries use, I've read that the Rhode Island Red Rooster/Delaware Hen is normal?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I’m going to give you a complicated answer because it’s not that simple. There are two different types of red sex links you can possibly get from a hatchery. One type is made from different breeds, but another type is not made from breeds at all. They are made from hybrids developed by the commercial egg laying companies to produce the super egg layers. These have been developed by genetics experts by selective breeding. Gene splicing or GMO’s are not involved at all, just selective breeding. Several hatcheries offer red sex links based on these commercial egg laying chickens.

The ones you are thinking of are made by crossing certain breeds, a rooster with a gold gene with a hen with the silver gene. Not all red roosters or hens with the silver gene can be used. The other genetics have to be right. The very first post in this thread gives a good explanation of the genetic requirements necessary for red sex links. It also has a chart that shows which roosters and which hens can be used.

Tadkerson’s Sex Link Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

The hatcheries are not going to use most of those breeds in that chart to make their sex links. They normally use breeds with good egg laying characteristics so the chicks are good egg layers. Most of the roosters used are probably Rhode Island Reds or New Hampshires. There may be some others but those two are the ones I’m familiar with. The breeds I’m familiar with for the hen are Rhode Island White, White Rock, Delaware, or Silver Laced Wyandotte. I’m sure there are some others used, I just don’t know what they are.

1 person likes this.
  3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Quote: One of the classic crosses is a Rhode Island Red cock over a Light Sussex hen. In addition to the helpful sex linking, the Columbian gene in the Light Sussex makes for pretty hackles on the get.
    Best,
    Karen
    Waterford English Light Sussex
    western PA, USA

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by