1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breeds do these guys/gal look like?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Yashlier, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Yashlier

Yashlier Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2012
    Carlisle Pa
    I have three chickens and some chicks I need help Identifying.
    For the older three I was told they are mixes the person they came from just didn't specify
    Then the chicks I have a "white leghorn" with brown feathers growing in.
    I love the little tuft of feathers on the top of the twos head and would LOVE to know where that comes from, I don't know much about breeds, the only one I know of that has feather on the head like that is polish but I am not sure how that works genetics wise.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The three older birds look to be 2 males and a female. I'd say they all have cochin in them.....not sure what gave the tophatted gene. Silkie is my first guess, probably not a parent who was full silkie but a generation or so back, as they have straight combs and not all three have crests. Do any of them have 5 toes? That could be a silkie indicator.
    I'm not familiar enough with Polish to know if they could throw this type of mix....we'll see what everyone else says.

Your white chick isn't a white leghorn, but it's too early to say what it is. And keep an eye on that little barred guy--I'm getting a rooster vibe from it.

3. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I agree with donrae. They look like silkie mixes. I have silkie mixes and yours are very very similar to mine. Look for the 5 toes that will help(though even with 4 toes they could still be silkie mixes).
    I agree also that you have 2 roosters and a pullet. And for the chicks no idea on breed but the barred does look rooish.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your adult birds look like Silkie mixes; that explains their feathered feet, partial crest, and odd looking combs. If you looked closely at them, they may even have a fifth toe--another Silkie trait. Its possible that they could have some Polish in their ancestry, but I'm not an expert on chicken genetics and don't know for sure.

Your barred chick is most likely a Barred Plymouth Rock. "It" is looking rather rooster-ish right now, with that somewhat prominent comb and "look" in its eye. Your other chick is definitely not a White Leghorn, I'm not sure what it is. It will probably be easier to tell once it feathers in, and it may or may not be a cockerel.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

6. Yashlier

Jul 31, 2012
    Carlisle Pa
    Silkie makes sense, Thank you!
    I knew they were two males an a female though, they like to battle each other every once in a while.
    My babies however I am still figuring out I have 4 brown leghorns, 1 white leghorn mix? (the one pictured), 2 barred rock (i'm not convinced thats what they are) 6 EE's and 6 younger barred rocks(from another person)

In these pictures I think I have 3 cockerels and a pullet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    I agree looks like pics 1 and 4 are roos and pic 3 is a pullet. Pic 2 looks to be a roo also but it could be a pullet with a large comb since leghorns tend to have large combs in general.

8. Yashlier

Jul 31, 2012
    Carlisle Pa
    Those are the 4 oldest chicks, judging by how they looked a week ago and comparing them to the other chicks of the same breeds I think im going to end up with a whole lot of Roosters lol
    The ones that confuse me are my EE's I read somewhere ( I think on here actually) that you can tell by feather growth but honestly I think my brain is so overloaded with chicken info that the EE info just didn't absorb lol
    Then I also have a Black chick thats supposed to be a barred rock but correct me if i'm wrong aren't barred rocks supposed to be ..well barred?

9. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    Is it possible you didn't get barred rocks but black sexlinks instead? If so the black chick would be a pullet and the barred would be roos.

And EEs you can usually sex by feather color. Do you have pics of all the chicks?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  10. Yashlier

Jul 31, 2012
    Carlisle Pa
    The black chick in the front of the pic, I think maybe a hen which also makes me think sexlink too but someone else said she looked like a barred rock
    This black one and this big barred roo chick came from the same person
    [​IMG]
    Here is a group pic of the EE
    [​IMG]

Here is the one with the most feathers with a few others mixed in

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by