What breeds do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenman4, Feb 6, 2015.

1. chickenman4

chickenman4 New Egg

Feb 4, 2015
    What are your guys's favorite breed of chicken? What kind do you like best?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    That's a hard question to answer; so many breeds, so little space and time! Bantams; Belgian d'Uccles. Meat birds; Freedom Rangers. Dual purpose; Chanteclers, Speckled Sussex, Ameracaunas, BC Marans, Plymouth Rocks. Really cute; Fayoumis. That's the tip of the iceberg here. Mary

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Where are you located? North, south, some where in the middle? In the nasty north, my preference is for small combs, non feathered feet. Best personality: Dominique. Second best personality: EE. Production: home bred black sex link. Meat and all round good layer: Pioneer.

4. chickenman4

chickenman4 New Egg

Feb 4, 2015
    Beaufort,SC

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Then comb won't matter so much to you. Have you checked out Henderson's chicken breeds chart?

6. chickenman4

chickenman4 New Egg

Feb 4, 2015
    no but now i will

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My bantam favs are d'Uccles, Nankins, Cochins, and Silkies.

My LF favs are EEs and Black Australorps.

8. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I forgot the Australorps, nice birds. Where you live the Mediteranian breeds will also work well. (And I can't spell!) Favorelles are very sweet, but serious underdogs in a mixed flock. Hampshires and sex-links tend to be pushy. Look on feathersite too. Mary

9. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Bantams: Silkies and Cochins.

Standards: Cochins (REALLY loved my Cochins), Chenteclers, EEs, Marans, Leghorns.

I could go on and on, there are just so many great breeds to choose from. But, out of all the ones I've kept over the years, these are the ones that have stood out for some reason or another :)

10. kmartinez

kmartinez Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2015
    I have some light brahams , Australorps, and silver laced wyandottes..They are still babies though (almost 4 weeks old )i cant speak for full grown yet. But my Brahams are the friendliest, they jump right in my hand and are eager to great me when i approach their brooder. One of them is my rooster and all 5 are so lovable and like to sit on me when i watch TV..I think they aer awesome. The next best I like is the Australorps friendly but not as much as my Brahams tykes. they still come to me or my teens however they a little shy. My wyandottes 3 of them are shy really shy only one of them will greet me the other 3 come only if i have meal-worms or something really good in my hand and they will only take out of my hand if they cannot steal food from another beak LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by