What breeds do you recommend?

kaylakrar

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 30, 2013
Hey all,

I'm just finishing up the plans for my 10'x15' coop. There will be 110sqft of chicken space, with an additional area available in case anyone needs to be separated, and a storage area for straw bales, feed, cleaning tools, etc. There will also be an enclosed run (~300sqft at this point), and I garden frequently, and my family is outside anytime we are at home, so they will have quite a bit of foraging time as well.

I am wondering what your opinions are on chicken breeds. I am in central Ontario, Canada. In the winter months we get quite a bit of snow, lows of -40C with windchill. Summers can get warm, with highs of 30C with humidity. It has been a fairly cool summer this year though (averaging around 15-20C during the day, 10C at night for the past few weeks).

I am looking for good layers, and a variety of different breeds (preferable no Bantams). I would love to stick with heritage breeds if possible. I have young children willing to help out, so I am hoping to have at least a few that enjoy the company of people, though if some are independent I will not be bothered.

I am willing to start my first year with 10-12, and continue to add on from that point. We may even welcome some turkeys and ducks at some point in the future.

I would appreciate all of the opinions I can get! This seems to be the hardest part of the process up to this point!

Thank you all in advance,
Kayla

Wyandottes are great breeds for cold climates. They are very cold hardy, and are gentle, docile, and good around people. Wyandottes lay quite well, too (one of my hens laid 299 eggs in 365 days). They come in many beautiful varieties, are are relatively common, so it probably wouldn't be too difficult to get some.

Any others? I was thinking Americauna, the kids would love the colourful eggs. Maybe an RIR, Buff Orphington. Any suggestions? Reasons why would be great also.

Back
Top Bottom