What breeds for Cornish X's

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bheila, Jul 7, 2008.

1. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I know that somewhere on the message board I have seen the answer but I can't find it. We just got done butchering the last of our meat birds. I have decided that I would just like to produce our own instead of buy them from the feed store. Please let me know what breeds I need. Thanks!

2. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    A Cornish X is Cornish with White Rock.

3. bheila

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    So any kind of Cornish with White Rock then? Sorry I'm fairly new to all of this.

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Do a search, or check out the "meat birds etc" forum... there have been a bunch of posts recently of good Homegrown Meat birds, and the discussion that goes with it... [​IMG]

5. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    you can do that but it wont be like the ones you just raised,theyve been raiseing them since the 50s and have had lots of genetic breeding to get them like that,but we are all trying to come close

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Actually the Cornish cross is a proprietary mix that the big commerical meat producers won't let out. So don't expect the birds you come up with to grow as fast as the ones you buy

7. bheila

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    So what could I breed with my Cornish X hens that would be similar? We saved 2 hens for some experimentation for meat birds.

8. skeeter

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    well assuming they live till laying age and actually lay some eggs that is a good question,they werent bred to live to reporduce just to be eaten,

9. bheila

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Quote:They are now 4 months old. So I shouldn't expect them to lay eggs then?

10. skeeter

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    maybe, mayeb not,becaues they are meant to be killed at 6-10 weeks,or even 3 for the "game hens",I hope they do lay for you I think id use a buff orp or some solid heavy breed
    good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by