What breeds get along best with Buff Orphington?

MIgardengal

Songster
Apr 4, 2020
Way UP north MI
I think I need another chicken. What breeds does well with a Buff Orphington?

My flock of 6 urban hens is just shy of a year old. The feed store mixed up my order, (at least I got all hens!). I was supposed to have 2 EE, 1 SL Wyandotte. 1 Barred Rock, and 2 Buff Orphington.

Instead I ended up with 4 EE, 1 B. R, 1 B.O. which was a surprise. I selected these breeds based on the fact that they are on a small lot in the city. I wanted quiet friendly breeds. And a unique colorful flock.

Soooo it’s all been going swimming until the last two weeks. For some reason two of the EEs (no muffs) have decided to start bullying the Orp hen. It’s strange because I half expected it to happen in the thick of winter. But here it is beautiful weather they are out more, and now the bullying starts? I have seen them multiple times corner her and pluck feathers from her head!!!! The other two EEs (with muffs) don’t actively seek to bully her. Today I had to put the mean girls in the chicken tractor, so she could get some peace. I have loved every min of chicken keeping for the last year until NOW!

Im dancing a fine line because with city ordinances I can only have 6 hens, but I thought maybe if I sneak a 7th mature hen in (eeek don’t tell city hall) that is of a different breed it will diversify the flock more? I know someone that would give me a free Astralorp would she be a good friend for my B.O?

I think breeds that go well with buff Orpingtons (guessing that’s what you meant?)
Other Orpington types
Barred rocks
Brahmas
Australorps
Really any chickens with a similar size range and sweet temperament.

This is what I currently have with my BO, and they get along fine. (Not that you should have all of these)
A Golden Laced Wyandotte
Easter Egger
Australorp
Brahma
Sapphire Gem
Silkie
Cuckoo Maran
Barred Rock

Yes that’s what I meant. Thx.

Golden Nugget (my Buff) does get along with my 1 Barred Rock.

I think I just accidentally ended up with too many EEs. And it’s not a balanced flock which is why poor Nugget is getting picked on. Literally she’s going bald on her head from the two EEs bullying her. (pic)

She hates being in with them, she’s like a poor little loner. I let her out when I’m doing yard work, and I swear she follows me like I’m her only friend in the world. When I walk outside she launches herself at the fence to get to me.

It’s a quandary, I can’t really go get chicks. Because I feel you need to raise at least 2-3 chicks together. I really can only add ONE extra HEN because of the legal stuff and even that’s pushing it I guess.

I hate to just add one, but with a flock as small as mine is that necessarily a terrible thing to do?

The issue then I have to take whatever mature hen I can find on Craigslist

Attachments

• 7B7A2B61-378E-401B-B0FB-C7A7D279D62C.jpeg
    7B7A2B61-378E-401B-B0FB-C7A7D279D62C.jpeg
    374.7 KB · Views: 5
If you're already having bullying issues, adding more birds is most likely going to further complicate things... unless you're talking about moving the Orp into a new enclosure?
The issue is that I think I have too many EEs (again mistake on the feed mills part). Again 4 EEs vs 1 buff orphington.

If you're already having bullying issues, adding more birds is most likely going to further complicate things... unless you're talking about moving the Orp into a new enclosure?
Ditto Dat!!
..and adding single bird is the most difficult integration.

The issue is that I think I have too many EEs (again mistake on the feed mills part). Again 4 EEs vs 1 buff orphington.
Too many for what?
Breeds don't really matter for harmony in a flock, each one is an individual with their own behavioral quirks.

To address the 'bullying' issue....
How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here.

How old are these birds, in weeks or months?

Try a faverolles... they are very soft and WILL be bullied by your other girls but at least your BO will have a friend

pick up some of this stuff and smother your BO in it. I suggest using a q-tip because it gets everywhere. https://www.amazon.com/Rooster-Boos...ywords=rooster+booster&qid=1617590278&sr=8-18
Yes thx, I just ordered it. I just don’t get why one min she taking dust baths with the flock, and a month later she’s a outcast?
Idk maybe they know she’s my favorite

Ditto Dat!!
..and adding single bird is the most difficult integration.

Too many for what?
Breeds don't really matter for harmony in a flock, each one is an individual with their own behavioral quirks.

To address the 'bullying' issue....
How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here.

How old are these birds, in weeks or months?
They are 11 months old. It was fine all winter. No bullying. Now starting mid March is when it happened.

I have a small flock and I’m thinking she’s the “different” one. (Again I ordered 2 buffs but didn’t receive 2)

Coop is 40 sq feet inside (minus a smidge for feeder/water) run is 80sq feet. I don’t have a cheap TS pre fab coop. This is a “human can stand up in” coop.

I’m not a expert but I don’t think space is a issue. The funny thing is they don’t fight in the coop when they are eating or drinking. The bullying is mostly in the run when they are digging outside. And I have watched them perch for the night...and it’s like they don’t want her sharing the roost. She gets up there and they pick at her head. Idk

Back
Top Bottom