What breeds go well with buff orpingtons?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickadee-23, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Chickadee-23

Chickadee-23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    South Carolina
    I'm getting some buff Orpington eggs & I was wanting to add another breed with them that will get along with them! Any breed ideas that are docile & friendly to people & good with free ranging, thank you

2. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I absolutely love my barred rock and speckled Sussex, just as sweet and gentle as the buff orpington. But I've only ever had one of each....

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have Ameruacana, Speckled Sussex, EEs, Danish Brown Leghorns, Brahma, and a Bantam....My Orpingtons get along best with the Ameruacana , Sussex and the Brahma...

Cheers!

4. JenniferCNY

JenniferCNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2016
    My buffs get along great with our barred rocks.

5. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    My Buffs really love our EE's and the EE's don't mind the Buffs either. Of course every bird is different though, so sometimes it just depends. I would not recommend Red Sex Links with Buffs though.

6. Chickadee-23

Jul 29, 2013
    South Carolina
    Thank y'all, I think I have pretty good ideas here I like the EE's, I did some research on some breeds y'all shared. Can you put RIR with the buff orps the reason I asks this cause eggs I'm getting are from my grandpa & he has buff orps & RIRs mixed together? Do I have to have a rooster with them if I free range them even if I have predator escape shelters made in the area?
    Thank you!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  7. henny1129

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    I don't know if I would keep RIR's and Buffs together, but it is really your choice. The only reason I say I wouldn't keep them together is I've heard RIR's can be aggressive and we had an RIR that was aggressive. You don't have to have a rooster with them, but it is another thing that keeps a watch out for your hens and helps to keep them safe. :)

SuperMell likes this.
  8. Chickadee-23

Jul 29, 2013
    South Carolina
    Oh No then I don't want them then can u tell difference between egg color of orps & RIRs? That way I try to only get orps! I don't want any agrressive hens! :) Thank you!

9. henny1129

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    Sometimes Buff Orpingtons eggs are lighter in color and more "stout and fat". :lol: You're welcome!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  10. Chickadee-23

Jul 29, 2013
    South Carolina
    Thank you! So much! What about light Sussex with buff orpingtons? Or barred rocks I have friend that has both of these & would give me eggs to hatch? Sorry for all the questions trying do my research before I make the coop! Thanks in advance :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by