1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breeds have black skin?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dianneS, Feb 7, 2011.

1. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I just hatched some chicks in my bator. I've never had any babies come out with black skin, plus I have never had solid colored babies in the past. One chick came from a pinkish egg that was laid by an EE or EE/cross. This chick is solid yellow with black skin, slate feet and a dark beak. Four toes and clean legged too. I've never seen anything like her? I'm trying to figure out who could be her daddy and what some of my EE's may be crossed with? Any ideas?

2. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    To the best of my knowledge, Silkies are the only chickens with black skin. But as I'm sure you know, they also have 5 toes and are feather-legged. I'm not sure what the order of dominance is with these traits.

3. RThomas

RThomas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    I believe that Black Sumatras also have black skin.

4. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Some of my banties are mixed with some silkie. I'm just not sure who laid these eggs? I have one silky cross bantam and a three daughters of hers who were fathered by EE roosters. Two of those girls lay green eggs and one lays pink. This chick with the black skin came out of a pink egg. I guess its from those silkie genes? I've just never had a black-skinned one before, ever?

5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Silkies and Ayam Cemani - though I highly doubt you have mixes of the latter [​IMG]

I don't know about sumatras.

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Some very rare Chinese breeds do, but I don't want to go surfing for the info,....again.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Is the all the skin Black or is it just the face? If it is just the face that is called a gypsy face.

Chris

8. FarmerBoy24

FarmerBoy24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    For surly Silkies Do!!

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:x2

As for black skin, there ARE indeed some Easter Eggers with dark pigmentation. . . It often links right back to the original birds from South America, which yes, a lot of those do have dark pigmentation, much like a Sumatra.

10. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by