What breeds have the biggest Roosters

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pamperedpoultry, Feb 8, 2009.

1. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Ok we'll Ive pushed my Dad to the dark side.. He now wants to get him some chickens. Funny thing is hes goin the exact opposite of me I raise bantams hes wanting some "BIG" chickens. Hes not wanting meat chickens or anything like that just some kind that has a pretty good size rooster. He's wanting a few girls and a roo to get some eggs. Something he can make some of his feed bill back by selling eating and hatching eggs and have me to incubate some to sell. I've told him I thought as far as what he's wanting his best bet was to get some Cochins or Bramah's.. just curious what ya'll thought?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  2. ~SunSetsWest~

~SunSetsWest~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Central, Fl.
    Orpingtons are huge!!

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Saipan junglefowl, O-Shamos, Thai gamefowl, jersey giants, orpingtons. sexlinks, seem to be the biggest around.. or at least the biggest known ones around

4. pamperedpoultry

We was at a sale yesterday and he passed up on one of those then spent the rest of the day tryin to find who bought it to offer them a profit on him. I warned him of the risk's on buyin from a sale but I've had good luck and bad luck.

5. pamperedpoultry

Quote:Just googled the jersey giants!! those are huge.. I've not seen any in this are though...

6. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    My EE roosters are huge, buff orpington/Americauna/Auracauna crosses

Luckily they are docile, Buck the mixed breed is also pretty big

7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    My Langshan cockerel is by far the tallest bird I've ever owned. He doesn't weigh as much as my Jersey Giants did...but he outclasses them by far! [​IMG]

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

My Black Orp rooster is 14 pounds!

9. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:forgot langshans..

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  10. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jersey Giants are, indeed, the biggest breed of chicken. However, they are very slow to mature. I think boys are about 13-14 lbs, when full grown?

That's just the heaviest, though. Shamos and Malays and other really tall bird are, eer, the tallest, to say the least. Kind of scary looking, too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by