1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breeds lay blue eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The Bantam Guy, Nov 12, 2013.

1. The Bantam Guy

The Bantam Guy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2013
    I dont even know :p
    Could I have a list because I need to buy Hatching eggs Non-rare please because I live in the UK!

2. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    The ones I know of are Easter Eggers (not really an official breed per se), Ameracauna (sp?), Aracauna (sp?), and Crested Cream Legbars. Hope this helps.

3. The Bantam Guy

The Bantam Guy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2013
    I dont even know :p
    Thanks but every time I hatch EE's there Green Egg Layers

4. Aphrael

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Yeah, the EE's tend to lay a more blue/green egg. Though if you are going to breed them you could aim for more true blue eggs. That's what I'm planning to do.

5. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Below is a pic of the first egg laid by my EE. It looks blue to me! I understand EE's will lay a variety of shades but don't think you'll have any idea what shade until they actually lay one.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Aphrael

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    That's a very pretty blue egg! Yeah as far as I know you can't tell what they'll lay until they do it. I like the greenish and olive eggs too, but would like some more really blue ones in my basket as well.

7. davemonkey

davemonkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    " Thanks but every time I hatch EE's there Green Egg Layers. "

I had 4 EE's and got 3 different shades of blue/green from them...one of them being nearly sky blue. Maybe with EE's it's just a matter of finding the one that lays the bluest egg and breeding her with a Roo from a white egg laying species?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  8. Aphrael

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    That's what I'm planning to do, hopefully in the near future. A breeding project to get some nice birds with bright blue eggies. Should be fun.

9. davemonkey

davemonkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    Oh cool. Yeah, I kinda wish I kept beter track of which egg certain chicks hatched out of with my Fayoumis crosses. I have 3 Fayoumis/EE mixes, but I don't know which one hatched from the blue egg, so I won't really be able to tell if future blue eggs are coming from the pullet that hatched from a blue egg.

10. Kyzmette

Kyzmette Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    Look for the base breeds instead of the mixes. You might try the Cream Legbars or the Aracaunas Aphrael mentioned. I have Cream Legbars on my list-of-birds-to-buy just because I love the shade of blue they lay.

I also want some Croad Langshans, but that's an egg of a different color.

I found this while digging around the net for egg color info one day, and found it helpful.

http://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/2012/07/15/gms3-breeding-for-other-egg-colors/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by