1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breeds lay pink eggs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CorralitosSunflower, May 17, 2010.

1. CorralitosSunflower

CorralitosSunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Corralitos
    I am really wanting to start a flock that lays a large variety of colors. What are some good breeds that lay a true pink egg?

2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Well you don't really get a pink egglayer, there are exceptions. EE's could be a good possibility and also cream egg layers.

3. InsaneBreeder

InsaneBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Kurtistown, Hawaii
    Some of the cream egg layers mentioned above are salmon faverolles, silver-grey dorkings, and that sort. I think cochins also lay a cream-colored egg, or at least my bantams do. Occasionally one of my BR's will lay a pink egg, but it's rare.

4. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    True Ameraucanas only lay blue eggs. The hatcheries sell Easter-eggers regardless of what they call them. They lay blue, green, sometimes brown, and sometimes pinkish eggs. If you got 25 chicks from a hatchery there is a chance one of them might lay a pink egg. I had one last year that laid a pink egg.

5. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    My bantom OEGB`s lay true pink eggs. They are a soft pink , so pink we didn`t need to dye them for easter:)

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The closest to a true pink (although it looks to be more of a purpley mauve) is from a croad langshan.

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Check out the egg in my avatar! Only problem is that it can't be bred for, sorry! This was laid by a Marans hen. About every 20 eggs or so, she'd lay one with a coating of something on it that would make it appear mauve. When I ran it under water, it would turn back to the dark brown, but as it dried, it dried back to the mauve color. I know someone who had a similar hen and tried to breed for it, but she was not successful.

8. CorralitosSunflower

CorralitosSunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Corralitos
    I have seen a couple pictures posted here with pink eggs and was hoping it was as easy as get an easter egger! I guess the rarity of them makes them that much more desireable [​IMG] Ohh boy this will probably be a long (and fun) road to find myself a pink egg layer. Thank you all [​IMG]

9. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    My one and only EE hen lays a peachy pink colored egg

10. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    I get a pink/purple egg from my Barred Rock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by