What breeds lay the most

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by I Love Layers, Jun 22, 2016.

1. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    I am restarting my flock, slowly. I am choosing breeds that lay a lot, but I also want a colorful egg basket so I've decided to choose the following breeds.

These are the breeds I am choosing from Murray McMurray

WHITE: Pearl White
    BLUE/GREEN: Easter Egger
    BROWN: Black Australorp
    DARK BROWN: Welsummer

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the breeds I chose, or that another breed may lay more.

2. The Chicken Fan

The Chicken Fan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2015
    Oregon
    I have Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Reds. I was thinking of getting Australorps, but I didn't want to deal with any broodiness. As for egg laying, they're both fantastic! RIR are a little better than the BR but out of 9 chickens I get 5-9 eggs a day.

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    You've hit the top laying breeds in white, brown, and dark brown. Cream Legbars lay better that Easter Eggers for blue eggs though. My Cream Legbar hens are 5 years old and still lay everyday.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  4. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    Are cream legbars expensive?

5. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    It just kind of depends on you area and the seller. They are getting more common so the price is coming down. I personally sell my Cream Legbar pullets at a week old for $10 ea. I've seen them priced higher and lower too.

6. MIDHUMARTIN

MIDHUMARTIN New Egg

Apr 26, 2016
    White leghorn is the best layer among chickens.Their eggs are big and white.They don't go broody and eat less than bigger breeds.

Second I think is Rhode Island red.

7. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Depends on where you get them. Green Fire, in my very humble opinion, have the nicest quality of Cream Legbars but they are expensive. Really beautiful chickens. I have always received great quality from Greenfire Farms. I think other hatcheries have them but they don't always look as beautiful. Depends on what you want. I love they are auto sexing so you know what you have when they hatch.. I loved my cream legbars. Someday I plan on getting more of them.like when my daughter graduates from Sewanee and I can afford to pay more.
    Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by