what breeds made this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by azamazal, Mar 12, 2012.

1. azamazal

azamazal Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2011
    (black?) ameraucana x ?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. azamazal

Dec 12, 2011
    i just found these online, these aren't my birds.

3. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    First of all, [​IMG]
    That appears to be an Easter Egger; a blue egg laying chicken that does not meet the standard for any breed. They are usually part Ameraucana. Ameraucanas can only be one of eight colors, so an Ameraucana that is not one of those eight colors is an Easter Egger.

4. azamazal

Dec 12, 2011
    right, i wrote ameraucana x ? i should've typed ameraucana crossed with what. sorry about that. i would like to make a cross that looks like this one day, i have no idea which breeds were used. i was just hoping someone would know, it's really pretty.

5. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Just looks like an EE to me. You never know what they are crossed with!

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Buy enough easter eggers from a hatchery, eventually you'll get one pretty close.

7. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    EEs come in any color you can imagine. Some have cheek muffs, some dont. Basically, it is any mutt chicken that has a blue egg laying breed in it's background like an auracana or an ameraucana giving it the ability to lay a blue or green egg. I had one that looked very similar to that. Her name was Clover.

[​IMG]

So yes, you are right, she is probably an ameraucana x, but with what else? Who knows...most EEs come out with the muffed trait.

8. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Ah, I misread. Nobody really knows the secret Easter Egger formula that hatcheries use, but I've seen plenty of photos of similar looking hatchery EEs, so, as Donrae said, if you order a few you're sure to end up with one eventually [​IMG]

9. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    ...if it helps, this is what Clover looked like as a chick.

[​IMG]

10. azamazal

Dec 12, 2011
    clover is super cute :) maybe black star? kind of looks like this hen, if so, what color would the ameraucana rooster need to be?
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by