What breeds make up the EE?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dianneS, Feb 8, 2011.

1. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Just wondering if anyone knows what breeds are typically used to make the EE hybrid?

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    A blue egg laying breed and anything else [​IMG]

3. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    I would think Ameraucana's mostly. You are only suposed to breed certain colors with each other. Easter eggers are when you mix up the colors and start getting mutts. Still a chicken still lays just as good! I love them

4. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] love my EE's have 40 in incubator

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2011
  5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:From what I understand about Quechua and hatcheries, this isn't true. The EE's that you typically get from Hatcheries (and what most people buy) are closer to the original "Quechua" they brought up - mixed with production birds sometimes. Ameraucanas were bred from the Quechua stock, but those EE's from hatcheries were not bred from the Ameraucanas.

You don't get your typical EE stock from mixing Ameraucana colors together. [​IMG]

6. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    Quote:From what I understand about Quechua and hatcheries, this isn't true. The EE's that you typically get from Hatcheries (and what most people buy) are closer to the original "Quechua" they brought up - mixed with production birds sometimes. Ameraucanas were bred from the Quechua stock, but those EE's from hatcheries were not bred from the Ameraucanas.

You don't get your typical EE stock from mixing Ameraucana colors together. [​IMG]

yes most hachery EE are the origanl mutt stock from south america AMERAUCANAS where breed from that stock into the AMERAUCANA

7. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Never even heard of the Quechua? I'll have to google that one!

8. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:You won't get much on it. I only see one photo of them in google images, of them drinking blood - and they are crossed with production type birds. You will get more if you search for it here on BYC.

From what I understand, they are rare and a 'type' instead of an actual breed. They basically roam free in South America.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Any bird whose ancestor laid a blue egg. There is no "typical" about it.

Araucanas and Ameraucanas were developed from several South American breeds that were imported into the US in the early part of the 20th century. For many years there was disagreement about what characteristics to breed towards. Araucanas were recognised first, and a number of years later ameraucanas.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:You won't get much on it. I only see one photo of them in google images, of them drinking blood - and they are crossed with production type birds. You will get more if you search for it here on BYC.

From what I understand, they are rare and a 'type' instead of an actual breed. They basically roam free in South America.

They are a breed. You can look on the araucana or ameraucana club websites or feathersite, and find plenty of information.

http://www.araucana.net/araucana_history.htm
    http://www.ameraucana.org/history.html

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Rapa/BRKRapanui.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by