What breeds of chickens go broody???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken farmer, Mar 11, 2013.

1. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Hello everyone,I want anyone to post pictures or just tell chickens breeds bantam or large thats broody. This will be a broody hen thread so you can tell all about broody breeds of chickens,and you can post pictures of your broody hens and chicks[​IMG]....I no a lot of breeds broody like silkies and sussex but post anything

2. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

This is Big Momma, AKA Teal. This is her sitting on 12 eggs (she collected and stole eggs from the other hens nest boxes!!) 8 hatched, and now about 12 weeks on, she and her babies are all out in the garden enjoying life. She protects them from the other chickens, finds them food and generally takes care of them. I thought hens only were interested in their babies up until 1 month, but 3 months on and she still sits on them - even though the warren eggs she sat on produced babies that are nearly bigger than she is! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  3. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    I love the little story and the pictures,I have 3 silkies myself(1 rooster and 2 hens)Im hoping mine go broody its March now in Ohio so spring is right around the corner[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by