What breeds of chickens should I get?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Justicedog, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Speckled Sussex

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Golden Comet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Cuckoo Maran

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Rhode Island Red

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Buckeye

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Araucana

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  7. New Hampshire

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Partridge Rock

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Golden Laced Wyandotte

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Columbia White Cross

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Black Sex Link

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Justicedog

Justicedog Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2012
    I'd jumped into the coop 3 years ago and got chickens. It's been fun and interesting and I enjoy my fresh eggs from spoiled birds.

Currently I have:
    1. Brown Leghorn
    2. Buff Orpington
    3. Araucana/Easter Egger (she's my special needs bird as her beak is crooked)
    4. Barred Rock
    5. Black Australorp

The girls have slowed down production and I'm planning on getting more. I'm looking for any advice or thoughts on what breeds I should get, or if I'm crazy for thinking of getting one I'm thinking of.

I'm limited somewhat with what the feed store sells on various days.

My top 3 picks are:
    1. Speckled Sussex
    2. Golden Comet
    3. Cuckoo Marans

Then I'm trying to pick from
    Rhode Island Red
    Buckeyes
    New Hampshire
    Partridge Rock
    Golden Laced Wyandotte
    Amberlink
    Columbia White Cross.

Any suggestions? Any must haves or stay away froms?

I'm scared to deal with integrating the new chickens in with the old when they're older. Any tips on that would be appreciated as well. I'm off to another section to find those tips though.

Janelle

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    My recommendation is Black Sex Links (technically they are not a breed but a hybrid), which are hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year.

3. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    I'd have to agree about the black sex links. they didn't have any left when I ordered from the hatchery last season so they offered Amber links. They say they are a strain from Isa Browns. They are smaller than expected, lay 2oz eggs. They don't have much feather color, almost entirely white. They sent me a roo that has only a little color on wing bows and saddle, looks like a leghorn so I imagine that's the cross with the Isa. They do have a sweet calm demeanor but, I'm not impressed! RIR's are good layers, very sassy though. I haven't had any of the other breeds you are thinking of getting. SLW's are good layers, very heat/cold tolerant, sassy. Idk if GLW's are the same. No matter what other type of bird I may have, my flock always includes RIR's, BO's, and EE's. [​IMG]

4. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    They gave you incorrect information regarding the Amber Links, which are not a strain from Isa Browns. Isa Browns are Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. Amber Links are actually a reverse sex link in which a silver gene rooster is crossed with a red gene hen.

5. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Well, that is hardly surprising! They offer ameraucanas which they claim are pure bred but I have yet to receive anything but EE,s from them! Also my order of 15 pullets turned out to be 12 pullets, 3 cockerels! I am starting to dislike this hatchery a lot! Thanks for the info. Not understanding the genetics, how does a silver rooster over a red hen equal white feathers? I'm so confused!

6. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. In a nutshell, chickens have 2 kinds of pigment that define their plumage color. These are the black (sometimes dark brown/chocolate) pigment, eumelanine (melanin), and the yellow/red pigement, pheomelanine. The groundcolor of a chicken is pheomelanine. When this is absent it is called "silver" which looks white. Breeds in which this silver factor produce white feathers in include Rhode Island Whites, Delawares, Light Sussex, and some (but not all) White Plymouth Rocks. If you want to know about the genetics of chicken colors more in depth, there is a very thorough and excellent article on it at http://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm.

7. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Thank you, although, I'm going to have to get out a dictionary a note pad and read and re read this. I wish I had a science degree! I'm feeling kinda dumb right now.[​IMG]

8. FrankA

FrankA Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2015
    Long Island NY
    I have a Red Sex Link. She is an egg laying machine. An egg a day since the day she started laying. Very sweet and friendly too!

9. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    LOL! Don't feel bad. I have a science degree (although my major is Earth Science, not Biology) and I struggle with a lot of these genetic issues. :eek:)

10. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    That article did lead me to go take a closer look at my birds. The Amber Links do indeed have an amber look to their feathers and the roo has some reddish saddle featheres and one barred black and whitish hackle feather. I also noticed that my RIR's have faint lacing,subtle mixes of mahogany and brown and some black tail feathers. I now understand a little better the reason for the almost white beaks, legs and feet( with the pink hue being blood I imagine) of my Buffs. I also noticed the black pushed through the ends of their tail feathers. I'm going to keep trying to match up what I see with the article and see if I can get the hang of it. It's pretty interesting! Thanks for making me feel better about my lack of education in biology! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by