What breeds of ducks are friendliest?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Fruit Juice, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Fruit Juice

Fruit Juice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Boulder, CO
    What breeds of ducks are the most kid-friendly?

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    any breed of duck can be really friendly. It all depends on the imprint and the bonding. If a hman beng is the first thing a duckling sees upon birth (like if you incubate or if you order from a hatchery that uses incubators), and you and you family spend A LOT of time with your ducks (picking them up, hugging them gently, talking to them, etc), any duck can be friendly. Of course if you do this to a baby duck, there's no guarentee they will be super friendly. My ducks live inside and so far, out of the 6 i raised from day old, 4 are super friendly.

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I'm sure there are quite a few breeds of ducks that are friendly. I've heard call ducks are. I can tell you from experience that Pekin and Muschovy are too.

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Sorry but I would not let any Muscovy that was more than half grown any where near a child, yes they will follow you around like a puppy but a lot change their tune when you try to pick them up. Have you ever watched the funny videos on TV? When a DUCK is attacking a human it is almost aways a muscovy. Geese are worse only because they are bigger.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

My call ducks are very friendly. Like little puppies. [​IMG]

6. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I have muscovies and Khaki Campbells. I would go with muscovies being the friendliest even with a 3 year old I mind .

7. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:Sorry but I would not let any Muscovy that was more than half grown any where near a child, yes they will follow you around like a puppy but a lot change their tune when you try to pick them up. Have you ever watched the funny videos on TV? When a DUCK is attacking a human it is almost aways a muscovy. Geese are worse only because they are bigger.

Not always scovies used for 4-H can be relly fendly. I have some scovies and hopefully will begting more. I LOVE my calls they are the best ducks ever " like little pippies " only eat less

8. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Of all the ducks I have ever had, Mini Appleyards have been the friendliest. We raised our original stock in a group of about thirty ducklings of various breeds. While the others would tolerate us, the Mini Appleyards were all over us. The minute we would go in the brooder room, they would be right there running over to us. When we would set down with the ducklings, they would be climbing all over us. Far and away, they are my favorites.

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My buff is friendlier than my khaki drake or my runner, but she is also the loudest and most obnoxious [​IMG]

I hatched out my 5 week old khaki (not sure if it is a hen or a drake yet) and it is friendlier than its dad, but it still runs if I try to pick it up. My Rouen is the same way.

My buff /khaki mix is less than a week old, it likes to be talked to but gets mad when you pick it up.

I hear Welsh Harlequins are pretty mellow. That will be my next duck purchase.

10. Brickman House

Brickman House Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    We have Pekins, Buffs, Khakis, Cayugas and Swedes, and none of them have any use for us!

None are aggressive or nasty by any means, and they are comical to watch, but the only time they pay an ounce of attention to us is when they think we might have something to eat. Other than that, they all follow their own little ducky agendas, and don't pay any attention to us whatsoever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by