What Breeds Of Non LG Dogs Make Good Farm Dogs?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by deb1, Sep 12, 2009.

1. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    I have a GS mix who is pretty good with my chickens. She is submissive to me, guards our property and is a all around sweetie. Because my main predators would not be wolves or cougars, I really don't need any breed that is more specialized like an LGD.

My husband and I have discussed getting land. We want a pet/farm dog and that is it. The dog only has to alert us when their is danger and be able to frighten off intruders. We also would like a breed that won't try to eat our other animals.(um.. that last part is essential)

I understand that most GSDs have high prey drives so I probably wouldn't get a GSD. Sadly I don't know what else is mixed with my dog, so I can't research that breed.

We won't be getting another dog for a couple of years at least, but I want to do some research now.

I probably will settle with another mutt, but if I have a few breeds that I think are good canidates then I can make certain that my future puppy has some of those breeds in his/her makeup.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I have always liked german shepherd mixes for good all around dogs. Including guard duties.

Viszlas are good guard dogs, along with being good hunters and couch dogs. They do have very short hair though so wouldnt be able to take very cold weather.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    The best all around dogs Ive had were hounds.
    They are smart and protective, and easy to train.
    And this one came from the pound

[​IMG]

4. Luna_Chick66

Luna_Chick66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    NE Pennsylvania
    I have 2 leos and I am a new chicken enthusiast, so I don't know if anything I say will be valid, but my male leo is good with the chicks (I think he's actually kind've afraid of them) and my female is protective about the cats being around thier little chick pen I put them in during the day. She will alert bark until I come over and make sure all is ok.

5. anngili

anngili Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heard English Shepherds are pretty good; they were originally bred as all-around farm dogs to protect the farm and family, herd when needed, and to not herd or eat the livestock otherwise. I think some Aussies might also be good for that but it might be hard to pick the right one.
    Although I love them, I would definitely recommend against getting a Border Collie since they are really bred to herd. Like Aussies, some would be great for what you're looking for but most probably wouldn't.

6. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I have a welsh corgi. We just got some chicks that are less than a week old. She is really protective of them. She won't let one of our dogs in the room with the chicks. the other dog is a Austrailan shep mix and would eat them if he could, he is not calm around our older flock either. Both of our corgis can be left in the yard alone when the flock free ranges and I know the birds will be safe and well looked after. They do chase them a bit, but not in an aggressive way at all. Corgis also have amazing personalities and are lovingfamily pets.

7. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Mutts! [​IMG]

I'm particularly fond of both hound crosses and german shepherd crosses. But no farm is complete without a good mutt. [​IMG]

Bear Foot Farm -- Your dog is VERY similar to mine. What's her (his?) cross?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Umm, the S in the middle of GSD stands for shepherd. They are herding dogs and are still used as such as well as to protect flocks, usually sheep or cattle. We are training our GSD pup to include the chickens as part of his job as protector of our family and our property. A well bred and well trained GSD is nothing, if not protective. They have a huge desire to work and all their human needs to do is teach them their job.
    The breeder we got our GSD from uses most of their GSDs to protect their sheep.
    My Charlie Dog was the most amazing dog EVER - she was part wolfhound and yes, she could and would take down a coyote. She was protective of all of us, the chickens and cats included. Anyone that was part of our family had her protection. We were never sure what Charlie's father was, although GSD was likely. Still, most people can't handle a dog that big.
    We'll be getting another GSD around Christmas. Not a day goes by that this puppy doesn't amaze me with his abilities.

9. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    I have a doberman/boxer mix who is awesome. He barks like hes going to rip strangers faces off but will wiggle his butt off when he meets them. He lays in the yard with chickens all around and completely ignores them but will challenge any strange animals that come near. He comes to get me when he hears a strange sound and will search the yard on command to patrol. He is behaviourally sound and even tempered and seems to have gotten the best of each breed without any of the negatives of either breed.
    He is one of the best dogs I have had the privilage of training and working with. In short I would say get a well raised properly trained mutt.

10. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:Doh! Slaps forehead. Of course, the S stands for shepards.[​IMG] How did I miss that. LOL I have heard that GSDs have a high prey drive so I was afraid to get another one. I thought my dog was a fluke. I am glad that with training, another GSD mix might be good for our family also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by