what breeds of roosters will protect their hens from pest& strangers ?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chicken crazed 1o1, Jul 9, 2011.

1. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    The reason I ask is because a couple weeks ago a weasel pulled one of my baby Silkes Through 2 layers of fence. And ran away and i also have 2 strange little boys around 7-9 years old coming in my yard almost every day even when no bodys home and I want to scare the crap out of them so they dont come back lol odd enough me and my mom and brother hide in the house so they dont see us and want to play (if woundering i am a teen )and dont anwer the door bell becuase we know it them Im just also afraid that they might steal 1 of my chickens when im not home . Is there away to train them to hate every body else but people in my family.Thanks

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Geese work well for keeping strangers at bay. A mean rooster could be a liability if it hurt a child or anyone else for that matter.

As far as the other preditors a coop with no small holes would be your best bet.

My outdoor brooder pen has 1/4 inch wire over chain link and it serves me well.

3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

First... hardware cloth is your friend.. and one of the best protections against weasels

I have had some very evil Jersey Giant roos.. the only problem is they didn't care who they went after.. they went to freezer camp

Our geese hated everyone who wasn't family... but it took a while for them to get old enough to decide to protect the homestead.. i kinda miss them.. but our mail carrier was terrified of them.. so was the Fed-ex guy.. and the UPS guy... so they went to a new home with a big pond.. so having a "mean" protection critter can backfire on you when it comes to delivery people that you want to be able to come to your home

If I were you I would go have a chat with the kid's parents and ask that they keep their kids at home.. just tell them you have a few mean roosters and would hate to see something "unfortunate" happen to their children if you're not at home.. I would also tell the kids to go home that you don't have time to fool with them that day when they do come over.. hiding in your home and letting them wander around getting into mischief isn't a way to handle things in my opinion

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  4. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    Ok thanks every body [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by