What breeds produced this comb and these roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PaisleyLife, Mar 17, 2015.

1. PaisleyLife

PaisleyLife Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2014
    Houston, Texas
    I bought the guys below off of Craigslist from someone who bought an assorted batch of hatchery chicks.

I thought the one immediately below was a female Barred Rock, but she is definitely a he, and I am thinking maybe a Cuckoo Marans Ameraucana cross? His beard is really coming in. I am hoping he has some olive egger genes. I have never seen a comb like this before, and researched a lot before posting here, so any idea would be much appreciated! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this guy looks like a Sussex cross to me. He is HUGE. They are both substantially larger than my black sex link hens, and are barely 5 months old.Started crowing today! (Was still trying to believe it was a female til I hear the darned crowing this morning)

[​IMG]

This last guy looks like an Easter Egger to me. He has a small pea comb, no wattles and seems quite a bit smaller than the other roos. He hasn't started crowing yet. His name is Lindsay Cluckingham (his gf who he is very protective over is Stevie Chicks, another EE of some sort)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any input! If you have any similar looking birds as mature adults, I would love to see them! I want to breed these guys to see what I get :)

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I think you are pretty close in your guesses. If those are hatchery chicks, they were probably the packing peanuts as those are definitely mixed oops.

The barred cross with Ameraucana (or Easter Egger) has a funky comb that can come from a single over pea comb crossing. He does have the body type reminiscent of a Marans, but no vestige of leg feathering, although not all Marans lines are leg feathered, especially hatchery quality. He might carry a blue/brown gene, as pea comb and blue gene are closely linked. If I remember my genetics correctly, breed him over a white layer to see what happens with those layers....blue is dominant and so is brown so you should get 50% blue and 50% brown if he has just one blue gene (which may be likely as a cross)..., otherwise 25% blue, 25% brown, and 50% white???? (I get fuzzy there). Brown expression takes about 13 different genes, so mixing usually produces lighter or darker shades of brown, which with a white layer would produce a lighter tinted egg but not white.

I wonder, with the size on the white one, if maybe some White Jersey Giant?

Last one is definitely an EE roo.

My random thoughts.
    LofMc

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think your guesses are probably right.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Me too.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

6. PaisleyLife

PaisleyLife Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2014
    Houston, Texas
    Yay! Thank you all for the feedback. I would like to keep these guys, so I guess I need some more pullets!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by