What breeds re these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ODchickens, Feb 16, 2015.

1. ODchickens

ODchickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2014
    Need some help. Just got these new chicks. As first timers we have no idea of which breeds they are. Can someone help please? I think the first one might be a Black Astrolorp but not quit sure. Thanks for the help.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ODchickens

Oct 7, 2014
    They are all about a week to two weeks old.
    The last one may be an Easter Egger.
    Thanks for the help.

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    They are at the "odd" stage, neither chick nor adult, so it is especially hard to be certain.

First...looks like a Black Sex Link...Australorps have more of a tuxedo look as chicks
    Second...looks to be a Red Sex Link or a Production Red...but I think Red Sex Link, which means girl
    Third...really can't say on that one...Someone else may know
    Fourth...maybe another Black sex Link, but if that is yellow foot pads, could be a Jersey Giant
    Fifth... might be a Gold Laced Wyandotte, if it has a rose comb (little horseshoe with luck running down nose) or a Partridge Rock if single comb
    Sixth...Welsummer, girl, pretty certain on that one...you can see chipmunk turning into salmon chest with no spotting (eliminating Speckled Sussex)...so Welsummer, girl

My guesses
    Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    They are really too young to sex with any degree of accuracy, but I agree with Lady of McCamley's guesses. I would suggest posting their pics again in 5-6 weeks. By then their breed and gender should be pretty obvious.

5. ODchickens

Oct 7, 2014
    I'm hoping they are all girls. Roosters are not allowed in my area. These are about two weeks old. I will post again at 5-6 weeks. I think one is an Easter Egger. You never know. Thanks for input. Any more?
    O

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with these guesses.

If one was to be a cockerel, I think that it would be the red bird, because of the slow feathering (unless it is a Red Sex-Link, in which case it is definitely a pullet).

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with these guesses.

8. ODchickens

Oct 7, 2014
    Thanks for the info everyone. Here is another batch of photos that may help. They are about 3 weeks to 4 weeks old now.
    Can you tell me what breeds they are and hopefully that they are all pullets.
    Thanks
    Owen
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon

Those are still best guesses as they are still in juvenile molt...neither chick down nor adult feathers. You won't see good adult feathering until almost 10 weeks sometimes not until 12 weeks when some of the nuances will become clearer. You won't see full patterning until 4 months, sometimes 5 months.

LofMc

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by