What breeds should I get in the spring?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by UBkevy, Jul 22, 2010.

1. UBkevy

UBkevy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Buffalo
    I am looking to try a few new breeds come spring and I am looking for some input. I am still new to chickens and can use some help from you Pros. I have Barred Rocks, Partridge Rocks, Silver laced Wyandottes, Buff Orpingtons and 2 odd balls I am not sure what they are. I am looking for breeds that are mellow, cold hardy, fair to good layers, quiet and preferably not white eggs. I like my flock to be full of different colored birds it might be odd but i figure the flock might as well look cool haha. I have been thinking Black Australorp, Ameraucanas and Cochin's. Are there any breeds I really should be looking at or any 1st hand experience with these breeds, I prefer to hear details from people with the birds then the hatcheries details.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Those three are great choices. Also try to get Welsummer - the eggs are gorgeous, a lovely terra-cotta color. And the birds are so pretty, too! I have all you mentioned and the ones I've mentioned. I, too, like a colorful flock. They're so much fun to watch! And egg gathering is such a treat.

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    For the Ameraucana's are you looking to buy true? Or are you getting Easter Eggers from a feed store/hatchery? The only reason I ask is because True Ameraucana's differ greatly from Hatchery Bred EE's which are usually labeled Ameraucana's.

I am experience with Hatchery "ameraucana's" (easter egger) and from what I hear they lay a good rate, not as good as Rhode Island Reds or Plymouth Rocks, but they are good enough to be considered fair layers. They have a pea comb (usually but can really have any comb) and that can be good in winter to avoid frostbite. My girl is friendly, a bit of a ditz and a little skittish of loud noises or sudden movements. She is definately 'survival of the fittest' and is determind not to get swooped up by a hawk or something. Any sign of danger and she's ducking for cover.

If you are talking about true ameraucana's disregard above lol, I don't have experience with the true breed, though I would love one or two of them.

I also have a Brahma who I adore, but that breed tends to be broody often. Similar to Orpington's. My Brahma has not yet laid, but any day now! I hear you usually get an egg every other day or so from them. I am not too concerned with production, because I have 2 Wyandottes and 1 Barred Rock who I am sure will kick it into high gear [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  4. UBkevy

May 5, 2009
    Buffalo
    I would be getting Easter Eggers. More specifically I will likely be ordering from Ideal Hatchery because I do not think I will be getting 25+ birds, unless I try Meat birds.

5. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

EE's, Brahmas, Cochins, delawares, welsummer, marans the list is long!

My faves are Brahmas and cochins though [​IMG] gotta love all the colors of cochins and both are adorable big fluffy fuzzy butt and footed chickens.

6. UBkevy

May 5, 2009
    Buffalo
    If I went Welsummer or Maran which would lay the most eggs and the darkest eggs? And which would be most mellow I know almost nothing about them.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The darker eggs would be the Welsummers, but Marans are more mellow than Wellies (at least when comparing my two). Mine lay about the same....

Here's a very handy chicken chart (I refer to it often when I'm considering what I want to get, or I've gotten something I didn't plan for and want to find out about it):
    http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

8. NeilV

NeilV Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    I am new to chickens, but I have figured out that I like Australorps. Friendly, calm, curious and the bigger the get the prettier they look. I have Production Reds and Australorps and wish I had more Australorps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by