What breeds should I get?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AshleyFishy, Sep 18, 2010.

1. AshleyFishy

AshleyFishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    East Texas
    I'm interested in having a few laying ducks around. I'm wanting black/grey, blue/green, cream/white eggs in my duckie egg basket, what breeds do I need to lay those colors? I know the Cayuga is popular for their black/grey egg color.

2. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Well, the only breed you're going to get a reasonable number of good-sized black/grey eggs from is a Cayuga. For Blue/Green eggs there's the Dutch Hookbill (my personal favorite breed!), and then for lots of nice, big White eggs there's Khaki Campbells or Welsh Harlequins. Runners are another great egg-type breed, and they can lay blue/green, beige, or white eggs, depending on the bird. [​IMG]

EDIT: Here's some pictures of my Dutch Hookbills. I'm always trying to get more people interested in Hookbills - they're such friendly little birds, mine come and nibble on your shoelaces and the legs of your pants when you walk through the yard! [​IMG]

Two of the girls (just after a few weeks of constant rain this summer, so excuse all the mud!):
    [​IMG]

And, the absolute sweetest drake in the world, "Zipper":
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2010
  3. AshleyFishy

AshleyFishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    East Texas
    Thanks so much! Wow hookbills! Never would of though of those.

4. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    LOL now I want some hookies!

5. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Hookbills are wonderful. I don't know why they haven't ever caught on more, especially being such an old breed. You should try to develop a new color, annarie! I have heard of some of the problems with crossing them to other breeds, but you should be able to do it I would think if patient in getting the bills right. I bet there would be a market for more desirable colors (although I personally love dusky). [​IMG]

6. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    runners because they are soooo cute maybe muscovy which I have there nice ducks.

7. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    I'd love some duckbills. I was thinking of hatching some for next spring. Your duck egg basket will look nice with all that color! Good luck picking your breeds--have fun. PS.. some of the welsh harlequin eggs I hatched were green, some white.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  8. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:Yep - my Dark Campbells mostly lay green eggs too. It's a fault in the Campbells and Harlequins; if you were strictly adhering to the breed standard, you'd want to select away from it.

My Stanbridge Whites haven't started laying yet (any day now!), but they should lay green eggs, it's what their breed standard calls for. I'll be very disappointed if they don't!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2010
  9. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Greene County, PA
    My Pekins lay a large white egg a day. They are very friendly and wonderful to have around. A little loud, but we have no neighbors.

10. foxhomechickens

foxhomechickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    I love runner ducks they are always walking around quacking and foraging for weeds and bugs:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by