what breeds should i get

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken Boy 09, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Chicken Boy 09

Chicken Boy 09 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    should i get all one breed to reduce fighting or will it make any sort of difference?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't think having a mix of breeds in one flock makes fighting more likely really. My coop has a mix of breeds but I did try to get breeds that are a similar size and have a reputation for an easy going temperament. I love having a few breeds because it is easier to tell the chickens apart even from a distance and I can tell which breed laid which egg. I have Orps, cochins, RIR, and wyandotte.

3. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Doesn't make a difference what breeds you get (most of us have a mixed flock).

There's a nice BREED SELECTOR TOOL you can use to help you choose.

Pick some breeds you like based on your own preferences (looks, egg laying, size, tameness, etc.) and ENJOY! [​IMG]

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I love mixed flocks for several reasons but I'm careful not to put say RIRs with cochins or polish - or any agressive with docile.
    Most breeds get along just fine if raised together. I think a rooster helps keep peace too.

5. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I agree with the other posters... try to keep your breeds of similar temperaments so you don't have some being bullied mercilessly. I have always had a mixed flock and it really is fun to see the different personalities and breed tendencies. We had a flock of buff orpingtons, standard cochins, speckled sussex, welsummers and a few very nice well bred rhode island reds. The one welsummer was way down on the bottom of the pecking order (which I didn't expect!) and there were two main ladies who ruled under Bo, the cochin roo. One was a BO and the other was a cochin. The cochin, Midnight, was a stinker sometimes, but Bo would put her in her place if she got too carried away and would protect some of his favourites from her when she was in a mood. And if she got too naughty she'd get a spanking from him... what an awesome roo he was!

6. Johnboy78

Johnboy78 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    I have 8 chickens, 4 breeds, 2 of each - Hamburg, RIR, Yokohama, and sex link.
    My first little flock. Hamburgs are smallest, RIR's biggest.
    They get along fine. Range all day.
    Hamburgs are the aggressive ones but they are the smallest, the big ones back them off,
    the smaller Yokohama runs away, larger one backs them off. There is very little aggression
    while they are ranging.
    I've heard that the RIR's are aggressive, not mine. They are probably the calmest and most
    placid of the group. The sexlinks are the most dominant although not agressive. They used to
    protect the littlest yokohama from the hamburgs when they were smaller, would actually
    block the hamburgs from the little one.
    RIRs and sexlinks are the friendliest. Hamburgs are flighty and keep their distance.
    Yokohama fall into the middle.

They range together, rest together, generally hang together all day.
    One of the Hamburgs has flown over the fence a few times but once isolated
    all it does is cackle (loud-can hear it indoors) and want to rejoin the flock.
    I've got a six foot fence surrounding the yard, they are all capable of clearing it
    if they choose (they don't really choose).

As a first timer I don't know much but my own experience is that mixing breeds is no problem.
    If mine were confined to a run agressive behavior would most likely be more of a problem.
    Without the confinement it does not seem to be an issue.

They do hang with the other of their breed most of the time.
    "Birds of a feather flock together" is fairly accurate.
    While they travel as a group throughout the day the pairs are likely to stay closer.

7. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    My mixed flock consists of:

RIR's
    Polish (full size)
    Silkies
    Seramas
    Barred Rocks
    Guineas
    Black Australorps
    d'Uccles
    Easter Eggers

They all get along fine.

[​IMG]

8. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I say go mixed flock, and do your research! The breeds that may work for you may not work for the rest of us. My mixed flock does not fight...except for occasional chicken football/keep away for mealworms.

[​IMG]

9. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Yes I put all mixed breeds but made sure they were all similar in temperament.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. themenagerie

themenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    I have many different types.
    Buff, Black & Blue Orpingtons, Welsummers, Speckled Sussex, Barred Rocks, Easter Eggers, One each Australorp and Wyandotte. I did have a couple Columbian Rock/RIR crosses and they were not the friendliest either to me or the other birds, I sold then hens, but kept the Roo, because Roo's are hard to give away. My Orpington Roo keeps him in his place quite nicely. I would say my Wyandotte is the most dominant of my hens, but that may be a personality thing, not a breed thing. I tried to choose breeds that were known for being docile, I didn't know the CR crosses were crossed with RIR until after I got them. My most gentle and sweet breeds are the SS, Buffs and BR's

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by