1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breeds to buy?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NikSmith, Oct 11, 2013.

1. NikSmith

NikSmith Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2013
    Hey, I know this post is likely around here somewhere,...
    Anyways, i'm getting chickens in the spring and am wondering what kinds are the best to get?
    I live in SE Montana, so the winters do get cold but the summers are hot typically.
    Can someone suggest some hardy chickens?
    Thanks SO much!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Some good hardy chickens are Wyandottes, Chanteclers, Buckeyes, and Easter Eggers. Wyandottes are especially cold hardy because of their large amount of fluff and small rose comb. Chanteclers were developed in Canada, and have small cushion combs. The Buckeye was created in Ohio, and they are cold hardy due to having pea combs and a fair amount of fluff. Easter Eggers are wonderful green-egg laying chickens that are hardy as well.

Other breeds, like Orpingtons, Plymouth Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, and Cochins are generally cold hardy. However, these breeds have single combs, which can get frostbite easily. Males especially are prone to frostbite.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by