What breeds to Keep a Disabled Rooster Company?

Cats Critters

Completely Indecisive
13 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Clarion County, PA
My Coop
My Coop
I have a rooster who is blinded to a raccoon attack and then another rooster going after him. So he is separated from the flock and in our new coop (which we are still deciding wither to buy or build) will have a separate section for him. But I'm concerned that come winter he will get too cold with no other birds to cuddle with and I know he misses the hens, and still calls them over to eat when he gets feed.

So I'm trying to figure out breed(s) that will be calm sweet little hens who will not pick on him. They would not be free-ranging but will be spoiled rotten pets. A couple of the breeds I have thought about are silkies and polish, the only problems with those is that I'm not sure were I could get hens of those breeds locally and most hatcheries only sell them strait run and the few that do sex them charge an arm and a leg for them. So thoughts on those breeds and suggestions of other breeds that might work.

A fairly resent picture of Kernel:
4439_chickens_6-23-11_001.jpg

and an old picture from before the attacks:
4439_chickens_1-14-11_017.jpg

Last edited:
OH, he's just beautiful. Why don't you put out an ad on CL, saying you're looking for a few hens for him.....Maybe someone with extras would be willing to part with them.....

You're right, silkies seem to be just as sweet as pie. Polish are kind of crazy though, but sometimes they're almost blind too when their crests are so huge, so maybe that would be a nice pairing. I think cochins are a nice tempered bird........

I sure hope you find a few little ladies for him.

Bantam or large fowl faverolle?

Haven't owned favs, but it seems from every breed description they are such mellow, kind bird that they are often picked on in mixed flocks, being at the bottom of the pecking order.

I don't think the calm disposition is breed specific really. There are calm natured birds in just about any breed. Maybe you could find some older (over a year?) calm hens to keep him company. On a side note, I had a few hatchery Polish ........ hated them, they were all very very flighty.

Quote:
Agreed. It's not so much the breed but how they are introduced and the hen's ranking in the "pecking order". There will be dominant and submissive hens in any breed. If you are introducing hens into his territory, I just can't see them being aggressive towards him. Few hens will challenge a rooster that's introduced into their territory, either.

Quote:
I think he has lived a good life and has been happy in your care, but I think its time for him to go to sleep and dream of Rooster heavens with tons of hens around him... I my self if I was a rooster I would like to be put donw while I am in the last day of my prime, and I would hate to just wast away...
sad.png

Quote:
All of my Hens like to take a Shot at the new guy I bring... and thy wont go down easy...... but the boys hit hard too and the hens quickly learn who is to dog, or rooster...
lol.png

large fowl cochins... they're the sweetest things on the planet... i throw in my extra OEGB hens i there, and they only give them a stare down, but i have never seen any of the hens peck or chase them around...

Quote:
All of my Hens like to take a Shot at the new guy I bring... and thy wont go down easy...... but the boys hit hard too and the hens quickly learn who is to dog, or rooster...
lol.png

Gamefowl hens won't go down easy either. Especially oriental games. They will take on any rooster that invades their territory. I also have some dominant hens that won't take any crap from lower ranking roosters in a flock. Especially when said rooster attempts to mount them and they aren't in the mood.

Back
Top Bottom