What breeds to use to make a Lakenvelder???

Sumatra20

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 27, 2013
Nobody has been able to answer this question. Anyone really know the answer. I know you can use Vowerks but I am looking at what breeds would be used other than this breed. Has anyone tried this? I have a friend that used some Columbian American games that he bred with some black american games and had an off shoot male that looked like a Lakenvelder with white legs. This was by accident though. I may attempt at some point to make them myself but if someone had some information this would help.

Thank you. I am stationed here in Germany (Military) and will be in contact with the breeders here also. I am just very interested in this breed since I had some as a young child. I want to attempt to make the breed again, lol.
Dave

Why reinvent the wheel?

If the breed had cease to exist then I could understand what you are asking, but since they are readily available why would you want to spend all kinds of time doing what has already been done?

Very good question. Have you ever wanted to put a puzzle together? I want to put the puzzle together for this breed. Which breeds are used, ext. It is to me scientific and this is important to me. In America they are not readily available either. Good ones that is like here in Germany. I will be very surprised if anyone can answer my question without just giving me a genetics class which I am not looking for.
Dave

Found the information that I had read. It was from when I looked up golden lakenvelder and hit the wiki link, here's a copy of it. Apparently the lakenvelder was used to make the vorwerks. Hope this helps you some

History
Beginning in 1900, poultry breeder Oskar Vorwerk began to create a medium-sized, utilitarian fowl with the belted plumage pattern of the Lakenvelder. The key difference in appearance would be the Vorwerk's dark golden base color, rather than the white of the Lakenvelder. Thus, his chicken is sometimes incorrectly called the Golden Lakenvelder, especially in North America. The Golden Lakenvelder, a plumage variety, is a separate breed from the Vorwerk.[2] Breeds used to create the Vorwerk included the Lakenvelder, Buff Orpington, Buff Sussex and Andalusian. By 1913, the Vorwerk was standardized. However, it never really gained widespread use, and is rare or non-existent outside Continental Europe. [3]
[edit] Vorwerk bantam

In 1966, a U.S. man named Wilmar Vorwerk of New Ulm, MN developed an interest in the breed, but it had not been exported to North America. Thus, he created a bantam version from scratch using Lakenvelders, Buff and Blue Wyandottes, Black-tailed Buff and Buff Columbian Rosecombs. European fanciers have also independently miniaturized a bantam Vorwerk. Though the large fowl Vorwerk has never been accepted in the American Poultry Association's Standard of Perfection, the American Bantam Association has recognized the U.S. version of the Vorwerk Bantam.[4]

Last edited:
Thank you. I have this information but am unable to get any information on the breeds used to create a Lakenvelder. I was thinking the Andalusian with a columbian colored breed would work. Or Andalusian with Silver penciled Hamburg. I have some ideas but not sure if they are going in the right direction.
Dave

I feel like it takes more than just a few crosses to make a breed, and it is hard to recreate an exact breed...simply because you don't know what mixes were used, and one hen or roo out of place will mess up everything. But good luck.

I know. I have had great luck with Sumatra bantams but with Lakenvelder this will be a bigger test. I am hoping someone can answer my question and make it a little easier, lol.
Dave

Back
Top Bottom