What breeds will I get?

twach

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2023
I have a Buff Orpington Roo and would like to start hatching my own eggs. This is what I have for my gals! Can you tell me what the crosses would get me or if it would be a totally made up mix! Would any be sex link?

Hens:
Barred Rock
Lavender Orp
Speckled Sussex
Easter Egger
Amberlink

Thank you!!

Are there any names associated with these barnyard mixes? I know one you often hear is sussington for Sussex/ Orpington.

The only "name" you can make with a BO is Black Sexlink via Barred Rock but even that is not usually a BO Roo, it's a RIR Roo. I'm not as experienced as others with this but my friend breeds and you might be thinking about how various breeds make Olive Eggers, Easter Eggers, etc. but you're limited with BO Roo. If you had a different list and different Roo the answer would be different. You already have 2 "breeds" that are actually mixes (EE and Amberlink,) so for sure those chicks via breeding BO are simply "mixes."

You can call them anything you want -- I have a hen I call an "Austra-Wyan-Orp" to reflect her known heritage -- but the truth is that she's just a regular barnyard mix and my name is meaningless. :)

The only sexlink in your group is the non-barred male x the barred hen. Male chicks from this breeding will be barred.

Back
Top Bottom