1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breeds won't mix well with Faverolles, Polish or Buff Orpingtons?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by auntie tee, Mar 21, 2012.

1. auntie tee

auntie tee Out Of The Brooder

Hi,
    I am in the process of building a coop and getting ready to place an order for chicks (probably in May.) I will primarily choose heritage breeds and am drawn to the faverolles, Polish and Orpingtons. I also plan to make a "laundry list" of other chickens available from Ideal Poultry (which seems to have the greatest selection available that are not straight run.) Including in my "wish list" are (all pullets) in addition to the faverolles, Polish crested and Orpingtons: Easter egger, Barnevelder, Marans, Buckeye, Delaware, Java, Russian Orloff, Sussex, Lakenvelder, Chantecler, Phoenix, Holland, Brabanter, Wyandotte, Sultan, Houdan and Crevecouer perhaps a Redcap or Silkie.

I know which such a random mix, it will be hard to say how the pecking order will play out, but I think there should be enough relatively docile breeds to make it less difficult on the faverolles, Orps, Brabanters and Polish but do any of you see "red flags." I have reviewed the behavior profiles and the Henderson Ithaca chart, etc and this seems like a good mix.

Your opinions and advise GREATLY welcomed.

On a side note, I have been going back and forth about whether or not to insulate the coop or not. I live in Western Arkansas, and the winters don't get "too" cold. Will insulation help keep the indoor temperatures "lower" during the hot humid summers?

Thanks all!

Tracey

2. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Great list of breeds! The one thing I can contribute is that after raising Polish twice, I've learned that you either need a big space with plenty of hiding spots for hens low on the pecking order to get away from pecking, or you need to get only those hens specifically listed for being super docile. I loved my Polish. They were so sweet and friendly, but they got picked on by everyone. It's hard to raise them through the chick stage without every little adorable puffy topknot feather being gouged out. It's a very sad sight.

An ounce on prevention is worth a pound of cure in this sort of issue for sure. Good luck with whatever you choose! :)

3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Yes, the Polish can have a hard time of it because their vision isn't as good as the others with all the feathers in their face. You can trim them back around the eyes so that they don't miss "discussion", or keep only the mildest hens.

Your problem girls may come from the EEs, Lakenvelder, Sussex, or Wyandotte. In my flock, the Lakenvelder and the Hamburg rule the roost. Hammie, as pint sized as she is, will run the 9 pound drake Earl off when he gets randy during recess. She'll chest bump that duck all over the yard, and she's still a pullet, not even a hen yet.

Marans and Orps are sweet as pie 9 times out of 10. The others you listed I don't have any direct experience with so I can't tell you how they typically are. For sure go with breeder birds, usually mean birds don't last long in the gene pool like they do at hatcheries. Some of the birds hatcheries don't carry them anyways and you'll be looking for breeders as a source.

4. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    The only breed I have experience with of the ones you mentioned is orpingtons. They will most likely get along with the other birds, it's just that they might get bossed around.
    About the insulation, that will definitely help with regulating the temperature.

5. thegreypony

thegreypony Chillin' With My Peeps

On your list we currently keep Wyandottes (LOVE) and they are so sweet! My SLWs boss the other birds around but are super sweet to people. The GLWs are super calm and sweet; one is incredibly friendly, the other...meh. Both of the GLWs neither bully or are bullied. ALL the Wyandottes are calm, consistent layers.

My Buff Orps are quiet, easy birds, consistent layers, and sweet though not as friendly as the Wyandottes. They go broody at the drop of a hat and make great moms.

We've had EEs in the past and they fell ALL over the spectrum as far as temperament and where they were on the pecking order. We also had a Delaware who was sweet and calm...never a great layer but the particular bird wasn't terribly thrifty either.

Have fun assembling your chicken family!!

6. auntie tee

Thanks all for the advice. I will have to think hard about choosing only a few breeds, or building 2 small coops. The latter option might be good if I find a place to put them in my yard (not too small, but there aren't many flat places enough for a 10 x 10 building.) And, there is the money, too! Those pre-fab coops seem too expensive for what you are getting, but isn't that always the way?

Thanks again all!

Tracey

7. caj1985

caj1985 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    Ratcliff, AR
    Here is western AR instead of buying a pre-fab coop I would look into having someone build one for you. You can probably get a neighbor, church friend etc build one for you much cheaper than buying a pre-fab. In addition you could get them to custom-size for the area of your yard you wanted the coop to set.

8. auntie tee

Hi fellow Arkansan! Yes that is the plan. I am not skilled enough to do any DIY stuff. My landscape is a BIG challenge, as my house is on the only really level part of a ridge and the soil seems to actually GROW rocks. So, even if I could afford a large coop, building it will be "fun." I love seeing all of the coops posted on this page. They have given me lots of ideas! Thanks for the advice.

9. nightowl223

nightowl223 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    United States
    I know the feeling! Here a few hundred miles north of you, ours does the same thing. [​IMG]

10. Zayantechicks

Zayantechicks New Egg

May 26, 2011
    We had to separate our two white-crested black polish from the other hens - 2 each of buff orpingtons, black cochins and partridge ameraucanas - because they were so picked on. They were the smallest and they had those crests... the others would sidle up to them, bend down and then start pecking right on their crests. We had to set up a "demilitarized zone" in the run and build them a separate coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by