What breeds would you recommend?

AZchickens17

Chirping
Mar 12, 2017
In the SUPER hot state of AZ
Hi, I am not sure if this is in the right forum, but I have a few questions on reestablishing flocks. We have had some issues with our current flock of four which originally started out at 8. We are getting rid of 2 hens that are not laying and rude, and want to add 6-8 more chickens and build a new, updated coop. Soooo, back to what I wanted to ask. What breeds lay alot of eggs, are heat tolerant, hardy, and friendly as well as fairly quiet? Thank you for your help!

My Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks and Buff Orpingtons seemed to fair the 90+ temps this summer okay, but the Easter Eggers did more panting. Supposedly they are supposed to be more heat tolerant. I think RIR are supposed to be more cold tolerant than heat tolerant.

Here is a thread on the same topic:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/best-egg-laying-breed-chicken-for-hot-weather.212442/

And an article from another site:
http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2015/02/20-heat-hardy-chicken-breeds.html

Hi, I am not sure if this is in the right forum, but I have a few questions on reestablishing flocks. We have had some issues with our current flock of four which originally started out at 8. We are getting rid of 2 hens that are not laying and rude, and want to add 6-8 more chickens and build a new, updated coop. Soooo, back to what I wanted to ask. What breeds lay alot of eggs, are heat tolerant, hardy, and friendly as well as fairly quiet? Thank you for your help!

I would look for breeds with large single combs and smaller bodies. If you search around hatchery websites, mypetchicken and the like, the descriptions usually cover heat hardiness when applicable, which is very important in AZ. Leghorns and leghorn derivatives like California Greys might be a good spot to start looking. Just a starting place, though!

Naked Necks, if you happen to be one of the people who likes the looks of them, fit the bill. Very heat resistant, good layers, not especially noisy, and pretty calm. Dominiques are pretty good in warm weather, too, and also good layers. Not as calm as Orpingtons but much calmer than Mediterranean breeds. Production reds and sex links are good too, great layers, pretty heat tolerant and they can be calm. A lot depends on how they're raised and individual personality for most of these breeds.

:lau I know all chickens make noise. We live in an HOA so we need some breeds that are a little quieter. My leghorn mix is always throwing fits over who knows what, and screams all day, and my Easter Egger likes to join in when they are protesting.:lol:

You probably already have checked this out, but make sure your HOA will allow chickens and how many. They may not allow roosters. Some places offer sexed chicks or sex link where they can tell the sex by color or markings, but if buying from a pullet bin at a store you may well end up with a few boys too.

Back
Top Bottom