What Breeds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by freemare, May 23, 2016.

1. freemare

freemare Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2016
    So i just picked up 4 little chickens from CAL ranch. They were 50% off and trying to get rid of them. I felt so bad for some of them beacuse they were so many in a pen. Being a first time chicken owner and my own chicks coming in the mail I picked them up. However 2 of them said assorted batmans. So I have no idea what type they could be. Anyone have any ideas?

Also what is the best way to tell gender?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The first one is probably a Silver Laced Sebright. The second is a Partridge Cochin. Both are very popular bantam breeds.

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    x2 you can post again at 6 weeks to check what gender.

4. freemare

Apr 8, 2016
    I have been watching the little brown one and have seen it kind of push other chicks around with its chest. Is this normal? or could it be a he?

5. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It's just pecking order related right now. It's something all chicks do, regardless of gender.

6. freemare

Apr 8, 2016
    Do you think it would be ok to put 3 day old chicks in with them? My chick order is coming in in two days and I am not sure if I should set up a new brooder.

7. freemare

Apr 8, 2016
    So I have some more pictures of my chicks. I was able to get a few pics of the ones I dont know if they are roos or hens. I also have to get one more picture of one the chicks who was not wanting me to catch to get a pic. So here are a few..

Any way roo? or Hen?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    And this is why natural lighting is important for breed ID. The silver chicks that I thought were Sebrights, due to what looked like white skin; are actually Wyandottes. You have a pullet and a cockerel. The Partridge Cochin is 100% female.

9. freemare

Apr 8, 2016
    I still have the Sebrights. That's the one that would not let me catch. I will see if I can get a photo of that one.

10. freemare

Apr 8, 2016
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by